Re: Funny Verizon blog post; lies about Netflix
Hubrisnxs
Legend

I am lucky, in that I don't have any problems when wired, but when wireless it's semi shaky.   So I understand that part is me, and my trouble.   But for the devices I have hardwired - they work fine and always have. 

I know the problem leaves all of us in the middle, so that makes me more mad, but I don't have a lot of emotions one way or the other, so I think (I could be wrong) that I can look at it objectively.  I've worked in NOC centers and currently work in IT, so I am intimately familiar with how this works, and it has been the same for at least the last decade.   When I was working NOC I would frequently deal with these situations - mainly from independant ISP's, and sometimes from ones quite larger. 

I could see via my software where the saturation was occuring and why.  I could see if it was a congested trunk that we had in our inventory, or if it was coming from the upstream provider.   Whenever this happened, if it was trouble in network we could get that fixed, sometimes it took a while especially if we had to order new trunks from scratch from at&t or gte or bell atlantic or SBC.   If the problem was at the other end, then it was real simple.  Quit over subscribing your customer base, or increase your bandwidth to support your customer base. 

I dealt with interconnects frequently, and that is a shared scenario.  You send us XYZ and we send you XYZ - we will keep the traffic fair and equal, and if one side was POURING it on, then they clearly needed to make an adjustment.  That isn't fair in that scenario.  That scenario is based on the traffic being equal going both ways, and if it wasn't then the offending party had a responsibility. 

That's fair that they do, they after all, are the ones with generating far more traffic than the other side.  So the weight of responsibility should fall on their shoulders. 

Netflix is just trying to pinch pennies.  I can't fault them for that, but to be completely disengenious with the little message ploy, that makes me distrust them immensely.  Coupled with the fact that they screwed me over several times, I have to find fault there.  

If amazon were messed up, and hulu, and youtube, and everyone else, then yes of course the problem is Verizon.  

That's not the case here, and I think we all know that.

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

tampaipv6 , you also pay netflix.   Verizon is doing their part, that's why you can access amazon hulu, youtube and pretty much anywhere else flawlessly.  Netflix isn't doing their part, they are oversubscribing their subscribers vs the bandwidth they can transmit.    

Additionally, I like how you completely ignore the fact that Netflix offers free peering and free local cache servers to large ISP's so that content does not have to cross their internet connections, or can do so for much lower expense. It's detailed on their website:

Except for the fact that I don't, noone ever brought it up here.  But let me respond to that.   I think the ARStechnica article responded to this best - "If someone comes to you and says, 'hey I'm big, I want differentiated service, I'd like to move close to your consumers, so can you please make 40 inches of space and 5,000 watts of power available at 100 sites, thanks very much,' you would normally say, 'I'm in the business of selling that—here's my price list."

Again, Netflix is trying to get something for free that none of it's competitors get.  That's called unfair business practices and I'd file a complaint against netflix post haste

0 Likes
djjsin1
Enthusiast - Level 2

I'm really getting tired of this Netflix/Verizon Situation.

I pay for 75MB downloads, i pay for Netflix, yet its Horribly slow!  I've been a fios customer for years, and it didnt used to be like this.

It seems pretty obviously based on the information i read that this is a Verizon problem.  Why is it every time there is a corporate fight, the customers are the one's who end up getting hurt.  This is not how you treat your customers verizon.  Fix the interconnect issue.....

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

DJ  how much trouble you having with any other vieo streaming, hulu, amazon, vudu, verizon tv online etc....

0 Likes
db909
Contributor - Level 3

@Hubrisnxs wrote:

Netflix is just trying to pinch pennies.  I can't fault them for that, but to be completely disengenious with the little message ploy, that makes me distrust them immensely.  Coupled with the fact that they screwed me over several times, I have to find fault there.  

Got anything in terms of links to back that up?

@Hubrisnxs wrote:

If amazon were messed up, and hulu, and youtube, and everyone else, then yes of course the problem is Verizon.  

The self appointed experts said the the same on the Comcast forums.  They and their network tools were never heard from again after Comcast acknowledged the problem was on their end.  aka knowingly allowing CDN ports to get saturated and doing nothing about it.

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

I have never seen them make any such acknowledgement   lol   what???

Netflix and Comcast made a deal to ditch the bad crappy slow congested CDN's like Cogent and go direct to comcast instead.  (probably the same or similiar price I bet)

what are you talking about?   

0 Likes
tampaipv6
Enthusiast - Level 3

So, Hubrisnxs, basically you're saying if some other content is not slow, then Netflix is to blame?  You completely disregard the fact that Verizon sells their internet access at throughput rates.  They do not sell internet access to specific content, nor do they sell capacity that is content-specific.  You must not work in this industry, like I do, because if someone came to me and said we can cut your transit bandwidth by 14 Gigabits per second by giving you equipment that will consume 5000 watts of power and 25 rack units, I'd jump all over it.  A fully committed 10gig circuit to an independent transit provider is going to cost you a couple thousand in network hardware, and at a very small ISP level, about $20k/month.  Mega ISP's like Verizon can likely get 10gig circuits to transit providers for half that.  So what makes more sense, spend $10k/month times however many instances they need to satisfy their customers' demands, or take a bunch of boxes for free from Netflix and spend about $300/mo each on power and pocketing the other $9700 in savings?

If and when Verizon starts selling metered internet service where I'm paying per byte, then I'll be happy to be penalized for watching Netflix movies, but while they continue to sell their service as X mbits for Y/month, I expect to be given what I've paid for.  That doesn't seem to be compatible with your fanboy status.

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

actually it does.  

these other companies are running their network the way it should be ran.  Netflix isn't.

They made poor choices, and can't support their demand. 

Sorry thems the facts, you can spin it however you want but it doesn't change the facts.

Look at it this way, let's pretend netflix wanted to run it's network off of one Verizon FiOS 300mb line.

Are you really telling me that you expect their millions of customers to get all those video's flawlessly? and if they do not, then that's verizon's fault, and not netflix? 

Of course they aren't -

this is all laughably simple.  Netflix needs a better provider, or they need to increase their pipes.

In the case of comcast and verizon, they chose better providers than cogent.

they made a smart business decision at the end of the day 

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

can i ask a question since you're "in the know"?

why doesnt hulu/prime/hbogo/espn/vudu have these problems?

0 Likes
db909
Contributor - Level 3

The short answer is that Netflix accounts for 1/3 of all US internet traffic during peak times. They dwarf the other streaming services you mentioned.

"“We’d like to thank Verizon for laying out the issue so nicely,” Netflix said on Thursday in a statement about Verizon’s claim. “Congestion at the interconnection point is controlled by ISPs like Verizon. When Verizon fails to upgrade those interconnections, consumers get a lousy experience despite paying for more than enough bandwidth to enjoy high-quality Netflix video.” "

http://www.businessweek.com/articles/2014-07-10/verizon-blames-netflix-for-slowing-down-its-own-vide...

"After the paid peerage deals were made between Comcast and Verizon and Netflix, service improved for Comcast users but not for Verizon's, according to Netflix's May speed chart. When the Comcast deal was struck in late February, ARS Technica reported, Netflix speeds became immediately better. Since the Verizon deal was made in late April, using Netflix has become an even slower experience for its customers."

"It's laughable that Verizon allegedly ransomed Netflix into making a deal by offering such a poor experience to the streaming service's customers that it had to pay but then couldn't deliver faster speeds. "

http://www.fool.com/investing/general/2014/06/17/why-the-fcc-might-intervene-in-the-netflix-comcast....

0 Likes