G-3100 wifi keeps dropping out
hubcapbrian
Enthusiast - Level 2

I recently installed a G-3100 as part of a plan upgrade.

I have two wi-fi networks in my home. The G-3100 provides one and an Apple Time Machine (backup disk for 3 computers) is the second. All wi-fi devices in the home are Apple except our printer and stereo receiver.  The only device that can take advantage of the 802.11ac speed of the G-3100 is my 2020 Macbook Air, all other devices can only connect as 802.11n which is the max speed of the TM network.

I have set the G-3100 network as the default for my laptop, all other devices only connect to the TM network. However, I often find the laptop has switched over to the TM network, suggesting it has lost the connection to the G-3100. Once connected to the TM network, it never switches back by itself. 

Verizon touts the wider range of the G-3100 but I'm finding the exact opposite to be true. Anybody out there run into this and found a solution other than buying an extender?

0 Likes
Re: G-3100 wifi keeps dropping out
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

#1 While we get that you have FIOS Internet, do you also have FIOS TV?

#2 You need to set it to use a static Wi-Fi channel if it is not already and try to avoid overlapping channels.

#3 As far as 2.4 GHz concerned the only channels that do not overlap are 1, 6 and 11 with comments about outside of the USA.

#4 By that, I mean outside of the USA depending on where you go to there is/are other channels above channel 11. And since you are in the USA, that does not matter to you right now.

#5 So a Wi-Fi scanner to see the channels that you are in use, is a good idea to get one.

0 Likes
hubcapbrian
Enthusiast - Level 2

" You need to set it to use a static Wi-Fi channel"

Which it are you referring to, the TV settop box or the laptop?

If the STB, how would I do this?

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

@hubcapbrian wrote:

" You need to set it to use a static Wi-Fi channel"

Which it are you referring to, the TV settop box or the laptop?

If the STB, how would I do this?

In the router, you set it to use a static channel. Then with clients they will use the channel that the router tells them to use.

0 Likes