G-3100 wifi keeps dropping out

Highlighted
Copper Contributor
Copper Contributor

G-3100 wifi keeps dropping out

Message 1 of 4
(253 Views)

I recently installed a G-3100 as part of a plan upgrade.

I have two wi-fi networks in my home. The G-3100 provides one and an Apple Time Machine (backup disk for 3 computers) is the second. All wi-fi devices in the home are Apple except our printer and stereo receiver.  The only device that can take advantage of the 802.11ac speed of the G-3100 is my 2020 Macbook Air, all other devices can only connect as 802.11n which is the max speed of the TM network.

I have set the G-3100 network as the default for my laptop, all other devices only connect to the TM network. However, I often find the laptop has switched over to the TM network, suggesting it has lost the connection to the G-3100. Once connected to the TM network, it never switches back by itself. 

Verizon touts the wider range of the G-3100 but I'm finding the exact opposite to be true. Anybody out there run into this and found a solution other than buying an extender?

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Trivia Champ
Trivia Champ

Re: G-3100 wifi keeps dropping out

Message 2 of 4
(238 Views)

#1 While we get that you have FIOS Internet, do you also have FIOS TV?

#2 You need to set it to use a static Wi-Fi channel if it is not already and try to avoid overlapping channels.

#3 As far as 2.4 GHz concerned the only channels that do not overlap are 1, 6 and 11 with comments about outside of the USA.

#4 By that, I mean outside of the USA depending on where you go to there is/are other channels above channel 11. And since you are in the USA, that does not matter to you right now.

#5 So a Wi-Fi scanner to see the channels that you are in use, is a good idea to get one.

If you are the original poster (OP) and your issue is solved, please remember to click the "Solution?" button so that others can more easily find it. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the "Kudos" button.

Highlighted
Copper Contributor
Copper Contributor

Message 3 of 4
(202 Views)

" You need to set it to use a static Wi-Fi channel"

Which it are you referring to, the TV settop box or the laptop?

If the STB, how would I do this?

Highlighted
Trivia Champ
Trivia Champ

Message 4 of 4
(179 Views)

@hubcapbrian wrote:

" You need to set it to use a static Wi-Fi channel"

Which it are you referring to, the TV settop box or the laptop?

If the STB, how would I do this?

In the router, you set it to use a static channel. Then with clients they will use the channel that the router tells them to use.

If you are the original poster (OP) and your issue is solved, please remember to click the "Solution?" button so that others can more easily find it. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the "Kudos" button.

How-To Videos

The following videos were produced by users like you!

Videos are subject to the Verizon Fios Community Terms of Service and User Guidelines and contains content that is not created by Verizon.
Covid19

Browse Categories
Categories:
Verizon Troubleshooters
Unable to find your answer here? Try searching Verizon Troubleshooters for more options.