G1100 -Ethernet from ONT but use existing internal MOCA network
efkay
Enthusiast - Level 1

Hello all,

I have a G1100 router (recently purchased from Ebay replacing an Actiontec MI424W Rev I) with coax from the ONT to the router, then I have two Rev I routers that are currently being used as MOCA bridges in my house to extend both wireless and wired .  (Verizon was selling Rev I's a few years ago for $7 so I went a little crazy - but it's worked pretty well).   

I am inching my way towards the higher speeds promised via ethernet and would like to replace coax from the ONT to the main router with ethernet.  I am only provisioned for 100/100 today but will someday soon take the big leap to 200!  (/end sarcasm)

Some of the posts I have searched seem to suggest that one can continue to use a MOCA LAN with an ethernet WAN.  Specifically, I would like to continue to use my two existing Rev I bridges  via coax for a brief period (couple of months?) to avoid outages in areas of my house and upgrade in the longer term.  Long term I would figure out a more robust solution for the hinterlands of my house but that's for another day.

So, my question is:  If I have a G1100 router switched over from coax to ethernet from the ONT, is the coax port on the G1100  still functional to allow my other MOCA bridges to continue to function?  Or once I switch the G1100 over do I need to treat the remainder of the downstream network as ethernet only?  If so, I know I can use ethernet to MOCA adapters but was trying to avoid the $60 per adapter cost (yes, I'm cheap).

Thanks for your consideration.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: G1100 -Ethernet from ONT but use existing internal MOCA network
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

Short answer yes.

Longer answer: LAN Coax is separate from WAN Coax. They operate on different channels and, in terms of hardware, they are controlled by separate MoCA chips. Switching MoCA to LAN on the ONT does not affect any settings on G1100.

Actiontec MI424WR Rev I only has MoCA 1.1 at 175Mbps. When you upgrade to 200/200 (provisioned at 300/300 actually), those will be your new bottlenecks.

By the way, are you still on the legacy offer $69.99 100/100 triple play? 

View solution in original post

Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

Short answer yes.

Longer answer: LAN Coax is separate from WAN Coax. They operate on different channels and, in terms of hardware, they are controlled by separate MoCA chips. Switching MoCA to LAN on the ONT does not affect any settings on G1100.

Actiontec MI424WR Rev I only has MoCA 1.1 at 175Mbps. When you upgrade to 200/200 (provisioned at 300/300 actually), those will be your new bottlenecks.

By the way, are you still on the legacy offer $69.99 100/100 triple play? 

efkay
Enthusiast - Level 1

Thanks for the info.  Kind of what I thought but good to get confirmation.

"By the way, are you still on the legacy offer $69.99 100/100 triple play?" - Answer: No, I was on a 50/50 internet only plan (provisioned for 100/100).  My earlier credits expired so my cost was moving northward.

Understand on the bottleneck.  I'm OK with that for a short while anyway.

Thanks, again.