G1100 Gateway Router on FIOS reporting "Eth1: carrier lost"
Maryland_user_1

I know this is going to customers, but we've just started seeing problems, and I am wondering if there any suggestions

We shifted from a business to residential, but that meant only a switch change by Verizon on the account -- presuming that its mainly packet priority --

But, in four years with business, we never had these intermittent outages.  The line in the logs that has me concerned is the same 'Eth1: carrier lost'.  Most of the time its down for 2-3 minutes and then recovers.  I've also rebooted and it recovers.

The ONT seems fine.  When it is up, the speeds are fine.  When it goes down, it is both WiFi and Ethernet connections to the G1100.

Any suggestions?  Maybe there is something that needed to be changed on the G1100 side when we shifted (late November) from the business to the residential service?

0 Likes
debugging 'micro-outages' : 2-3 minutes w/out internet
Maryland_user_1

This has become more frequent, and we're looking for suggestions via this forum for what else to check.   This is residential Gigabit, with G1100 Router.  ONT seems fine and when internet is up, the speeds (via Verizon's tool) are as advertised.

LAN: all wireless and wired connections connect w/out issue when up

Via the WAN log entries, we see 'eth1: carrier lost' that seems to be in-step with the micro-outages.  Fixing is either waiting or rebooting.  It doesn't seem to require a reboot to come back.

For example, over the last set of entries in the log:

Dec 21 22:23:37 2018 dhcpcd[2716] info<134> eth1: carrier lost

(and on 20:14:05 ; then on 22nd: 00:33:57,  02:24:10, 02:54:20 , 03:03:49 , 04:09:25 , 04:11:07 , 04:38:28 ,  04:40:12 , 05:04:26 , 05:23:13 , 08:10:28, 08:40:07, 09:09:38 , 09:19:06 , 09:48:18 , 09:58:40 , 10:25:18 , 10:55:28 , 11:09:30 , 11:18:52 , 11:33:50 , 13:05:15 , 13:49:14 , 13:50:55 )

All times are 5-hours ahead of EST, if that helps, and not all directly observed outages.  So, that is why 'seems to be'.  No other observed log entries that appear to precede the outage (but open to suggestions on other places in the Log files to look).

So far, suggestions via direct Verizon (calls or web-searching) have focused on rebooting, but that is not fixing it.  

0 Likes
Re: debugging 'micro-outages' : 2-3 minutes w/out internet
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

I'm assuming here that ETH1 is the WAN uplink for the router. Did you try giving the ONT a power cycle? 2-3 minutes sounds like the ONT is rebooting.

0 Likes
Maryland_user_1

I am also making that assumption, since it is in the WAN logs.  I have not done a full power cycle on the ONT, since for the bulk of these interruptions it 'self-heals'.

I should also add that the worst was yesterday (the times listed).  Since the last entry in that list, there has been no further outages and no further 'carrier lost'.

So, I suspect this means the issue is within the neighborhood, and that this indicates congestion on the Verizon Gigabit lines.  Is there any way to further verify that?  Any suggestions on items that we can do to further understand the underlying problem?

0 Likes
crash15

I'm having the same issues in MD too since the week of December 17. The app resetting the ONT, phone support and an onsite tech haven't been able to stop it from happening/fix it. Frustrated that no one seems to know what the issue is/how to resolve it at this point. 

0 Likes
Re: G1100 Gateway Router on FIOS reporting "Eth1: carrier lost"
LawrenceC
Moderator Emeritus

Hi Maryland_user_1,

Your issue has been escalated to a Verizon agent. Please check your Private Message Inbox for a message from Verizon_Support. You can find your Inbox by clicking on your username at the top right corner of this page. Please direct all correspondence concerning your issue to the agents who will be assisting you privately.

0 Likes
LawrenceC
Moderator Emeritus

Hi crash15,

Your issue has been escalated to a Verizon agent. Please check your Private Message Inbox for a message from Verizon_Support. You can find your Inbox by clicking on your username at the top right corner of this page. Please direct all correspondence concerning your issue to the agents who will be assisting you privately.

0 Likes