G1100 Router WiFi drops/disabled on it's own
bobosaur
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hi there,

I've been searching the forums and haven't found anyone that seems to have the same issue as I do with my G1100 router. The problem I've been having is that the WiFi on my router turns off randomly (every other day) on it's own. Internet is still available as wired devices and as well as devices connected to my extender still works. Only the G1100 router WiFi goes out. Globe light is white, WiFi light is completely off. (see picture attached).

imageWiFi disabled on it's own...

I've spoken to a service agent and we did a hard reset on the router, but the problem did not go away. I called back and they sent me a new router and I swapped out the router but I'm still having the same problem. Do I ask for another one to be sent to me? Is there a firmware issue? I'm at a lost on what to do next. I didn't have this problem for the first 1.5 years I had the router...it just started happening 2 months ago out of nowhere...and I didn't make any changes to my settings or anything...Please help

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: G1100 Router WiFi drops/disabled on it's own
jonjones1
Legend

@bobosaur wrote:

Just following up: anyone able to help me???

You could try another router again or you could do a factory reset on the router.

if you dont have tv you could purchase your own router like a netgear or Asus and get rid of the Verizon g1100 and save $144 a year if you rent. 

Verizon has been sending firmware updates to the Quantum router so that may be the issue. The routers have a known problem with wifi just google it. 

I would like i said dump that crap router and use your own. And if you do return it get a receipt on the spot from a fios store location. Don’t leave until you get it and make sure the rental is removed from your monthly invoice immediately.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
bobosaur
Enthusiast - Level 2

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

@bobosaur wrote:

You could try another router again or you could do a factory reset on the router.

if you dont have tv you could purchase your own router like a netgear or Asus and get rid of the Verizon g1100 and save $144 a year if you rent. 

Verizon has been sending firmware updates to the Quantum router so that may be the issue. The routers have a known problem with wifi just google it. 

I would like i said dump that crap router and use your own. And if you do return it get a receipt on the spot from a fios store location. Don’t leave until you get it and make sure the rental is removed from your monthly invoice immediately.

0 Likes
bobosaur
Enthusiast - Level 2

Fortunately or unfortunately, I bought the router when I first got Fios thinking I'll be using it for as long as I lived in my current home using Fios service. The frustrating part is that I didn't have this issue for 2 years...it just started out of nowhere in the past 2 months. 

I have tried factory reset and the problem still exists. I was hoping to not have to call Verizon again for another router because the past few times I called I spent 45+ mins on the phone trying to figure out what's wrong. I was also hoping to find another solution without having to buy another router...because I already paid for this one.

Will call Verizon first thing Monday...hopefully the next one isn't as crappy...

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

Hope it all works out.

0 Likes
bobosaur
Enthusiast - Level 2

So I finally spoke to a competent person who explained to me that the issue I have is a known issue with Verizon. I is apparently being caused by the latest firmware update for the router that came out about 3 months ago (when I started having this issue). Verizon supposedly knows the problem, but there's no timeline on when it will be fixed. It has to do with the radio frequency of the router, and it turns off and forgets to turn on when it's refreshing/changing channels. I have mine set to manual channels, but apparently it still has the same problem? At least that's what the guy told me. 

In the mean time the only way to temporarily fix this problem is to reboot/power cycle your router every other day (or when it happens). Kinda frustrating...but an acceptable solution at this time. 

Hope this helps others out there having the same issue.

jonjones1
Legend

Which is what i told you in my first reply. Look at middle of my answer.

0 Likes
MrZero2U

My router started dropping the wifi connection only. From the time a device got dropped, till it reconnected (obtaining IP adress etc.) any wifi conversations/skype/etc would be cut off.

In my case wired connection remained working. The solution was to use my own wifi connected via RJ45 to the modem and connect devices to my own wifi.

0 Likes