G1100 and WCB6200Q... use the FNE as an access point with unique SSID?
Metrixtech
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have a FIOS Network Extender (WCB6200Q) connected via coax to a FIOS Quantum Gateway Router (G1100).  The FNE is replicating the router's SSID and password properly.  However, I would like to reconfigure the FNE with a new permanent SSID and password, so I can use the FNE as an access point where specific devices will always be assigned and connected to the FNE.  Is this possible and how would I specifically configure?  From everything I've read about the G1100 and the WCB6200Q, the FNE always adopts the routers credentials even if you temporarily change the SSID and password in the FNE's configuration page.  Help, please.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: G1100 and WCB6200Q... use the FNE as an access point with unique SSID?
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Yes you can. Login to the router to find the IP address of the 6200. Type the 6200's IP into your browser and the login info is on the sticker of the 6200. You can maybe just disable the 2.4 GHz and leave the 5G on for you devices on that side of the house. 

View solution in original post

Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

What you read is correct. The FNE will clone the SSID/WPA2 of the G1100. Unfortunately there is no way to change this as that is what they are designed to do. If you do manually login and chage the SSID/WPA2, then it will eventually change it back to the G1100’s wifi credentials. 

Metrixtech
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks for your reply and confirming my observation.  My specific issue is that I have a couple of devices, including a new smart TV, which sometimes gravitates from the stronger WiFi signal of the FNE to the weaker WiFi signal of the router, even though the router is physically further from the devices.  The symptom for the TV is that is goes from great streaming to no streaming.

I have a backup plan.  I have plenty of access to coax so I'll buy a FIOS MOCA network adapter (or equivalent) and attach an Ethernet cable between the adapter and the TV.  Can't beat a wired connection.  Thanks again.

Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

You can also connect the TV to the FNE’s ethernet port. Or would that be too difficult?

Metrixtech
Enthusiast - Level 2

That indeed is a good suggestion... and it would solve the TV issue... but the WiFi coverage of router and the FNE seem to overlap too much resulting in other wireless devices (e.g., wireless light switches/timers) to perform inconsistently.  When I take the extender offline, these wireless devices return to normal operation.

Is there a way to turn the radio off in the FNE and leave the Ethernet ports active?

Thanks again.

Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Yes you can. Login to the router to find the IP address of the 6200. Type the 6200's IP into your browser and the login info is on the sticker of the 6200. You can maybe just disable the 2.4 GHz and leave the 5G on for you devices on that side of the house. 

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

If you have SON enabled with Access Point steering enabled, this could be causing problems with your devices jumping from the FNE to the router. Sometimes turning down the transmit power to make the behavior between each access point can help. Other times if you're using Auto channel selection, locking the channels can help with wireless drops that might be telling your devices to move.

Just my two cents.