G1100 via Coax for TV, Separate Router via Ethernet for FiOS
TheJensens
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have done a quick search and looked through the first 5 pages of threads, couldn't find anything I was looking for. 

To set up: I have the 75/75 FiOS and Custom TV package with two STB. I currently have a G1100 connected from the ONT via coax on the west side of my house, but the wifi signal is very poor on the east side of my house and upstairs (we may have iron inside these walls....). We have the XBox One on the east side of the house but drops connection quite often. I have an ethernet plug in the wall in the middle of my house that is not being utilized. I do not want to run wiring for an Access Point, and I don't want to use a Wifi Repeater. My question....

Can I use the G1100 connected to the ONT via Coax for TV and the STB, and have the ethernet run from the ONT to the wall plug in my office in the middle of my house to solely run internet? I would disconnect the wifi on the G1100 and use my ASUS connected to the ONT via ethernet for the wifi. I would not be connecting the ASUS to the G1100 whatsoever, it would basically be two routers dedicated to their individual assignments. G1100 for TV only, ASUS for internet/wifi only. 

Thank you!

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: G1100 via Coax for TV, Separate Router via Ethernet for FiOS
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

That's what I was trying to say earlier. Internet is via coax or Ethernet, not both. And VMS needs internet access for guide and vod.

View solution in original post

CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

No. Quantum router needs to have internet access because that is how guide and vod is fed to VMS.

0 Likes
TheJensens
Enthusiast - Level 1

Quantum router would still be receiving a signal via Coax from the ONT, just not rebroadcasting via wifi. If Ethernet connection is activated at the ONT, would the signal not travel via Coax to the G1100? If Ethernet connection is activated and G1100 still receives signal, does it halve the speed? IE, I have 75/75, would the signal travelling via Ethernet then be down to 37.5/37.5?

0 Likes
TheJensens
Enthusiast - Level 1

I think I found an answer, but not what I was hoping. DSL Reports website says that you can use one connection OR the other, not both. So I cannot use ethernet for internet while Coax for TV. 

https://www.dslreports.com/faq/16622

If you hear, or know otherwise, please let me know. Thanks for your reply and help!

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

That's what I was trying to say earlier. Internet is via coax or Ethernet, not both. And VMS needs internet access for guide and vod.

viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@CRobGauth wrote:

However if the g1100 was provisoned for ethernet it can be connected to both coax and ethernet with the internet signal being on the ethernet side.  Guess that would only help OP if he also has an ethernet port where the g1100 is located.  My verizon router is set up like that with it's ethernet wan port being fed from a lan port on my non verizon gateway router.

0 Likes