G3-100 Router Set Up and Activated OK but no Wi-Fi!!!! yet Ethernet ports work fine.
hubcapbrian
Enthusiast - Level 2

Ok, I'll just state that I'm a retired electrical engineer who's worked in networking for decades so if I'm stumped God help the rest of us.

Went through the G3100 install although it's a bit silly to suggest looking up the instructions online when there's no way to go online without the router working!

So I followed the directions on the box.  I used the EXISTING cabling that my old router was using. I did NOT install the coax spliiter (more later). The G3100 is connected to my ONT via both ethernet and coax, which is how my old router was set up. I have an Apple Time Machine box which has it's own wi-fi network connected to the G3100 by Ethernet. 

I first tried to connect via W-Fi using my MacBook Pro. I set up the name and password in the Mac's Network preferences and it complained that "there is no IP, cannot connect the the internet". Cool  🙄  Did the same with my MacBook Air, same result. No sense trying the iMac...

So how am I able to type this? Because the wi-fi network of the Time Machine not only works, but it is connecting to the Internet over the Ethernet connection to the G3100 😡 

What about the coax splitter? It does NOT match the splitter already in place. In particular the label shows a different range of frequencies (the new extends to 1675MHz, the old spliiter only to 1000MHz). Better yet the new splitter has one in but only two outs marked -3.5dB. The old splitter (added when I had my ONT upgraded a few months ago (I'll skip THAT horror story) has FOUR outputs and they are marked (+)7.5dB.  I can't imagine why the old splitter would interfere with the Wi-Fi but as with all things Fios, anything is possible.

I've put my request for a call from support in, but while I'm waiting maybe some of you have run into this idiotic problem and know how to fix it.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: G3-100 Router Set Up and Activated OK but no Wi-Fi!!!! yet Ethernet ports work fine.
hubcapbrian
Enthusiast - Level 2

Well, it turns out that the activation screen telling me everything was OK and go start browsing the web neglected to mention SOMETHING REALLY IMPORTANT.

Um, REBOOT THE ROUTER.

I am typing this right now connected over Wi-Fi to the G3-100.

View solution in original post

Re: G3-100 Router Set Up and Activated OK but no Wi-Fi!!!! yet Ethernet ports work fine.
hubcapbrian
Enthusiast - Level 2

Well, it turns out that the activation screen telling me everything was OK and go start browsing the web neglected to mention SOMETHING REALLY IMPORTANT.

Um, REBOOT THE ROUTER.

I am typing this right now connected over Wi-Fi to the G3-100.