Re: G3100 DHCP server problems
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

Ok. Now I understand what is going on here.

To rename the devices, you need to do that on the devices which you are trying to rename. Different branded devices have different procedures for renaming. I will not go over every possibility here. Some devices may require administrative privilege to rename, for instance, Windows operating system.

A device name is a physical name, which can be used for identification within the same network segment in place of an IP address (the NetBios Name Service can resolve a physical name into an IP address, sort of a counterpart of Address Resolution Protocol).  For this reason, I believe, IEEE recommends the device name to be UNI encoded, which does not include space and some special characters. Although you can use %20 in place of space, but G1100/G3100 does not allow the percentage sign either.

G3100 seems to take a more restrictive approach on physical names than G1100. G1100's device name can contain a space as long as the name is received through NetBios discovery. Well, G3100 enforces IEEE standards more strictly.

0 Likes
Re: G3100 DHCP server problems
LawrenceC
Moderator Emeritus

As this thread is now two years old, it will be locked in order to keep discussions current. If you have the same or a similar question/issue we invite you to start a new thread on the topic.

0 Likes