G3100/E3200 & Speeds Over 1G
dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

Time to ask another question. 😊

Will the G3100 & E3200 be able to handle speeds higher than the current 1G offered by Verizon? 🤔

With faster speeds likely coming in the future, are these units able to move ahead, or, will they have to be replaced by something else if a customer places an order for Internet service upgrade? 🤔

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: G3100/E3200 & Speeds Over 1G
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

G3100 and E3200 have an internal switching capability of 3Gbps, a routing capability of 1200Mbps, I believe.

G3100 has a WAN MoCA 2.5 chip within, which allows it to accept 2.5Gbps on coax, but MoCA is hardly a sustainable standard for the future. G3100 only has gigabit WAN port. So considering these constraints, G3100 isn't able to move ahead with a future PON upgrade.

There are multigigabit capable routers on the 5G side. I would imagine the engineering would combine the Fios and 5G Router product lines together in the future.

View solution in original post

Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

G3100 and E3200 have an internal switching capability of 3Gbps, a routing capability of 1200Mbps, I believe.

G3100 has a WAN MoCA 2.5 chip within, which allows it to accept 2.5Gbps on coax, but MoCA is hardly a sustainable standard for the future. G3100 only has gigabit WAN port. So considering these constraints, G3100 isn't able to move ahead with a future PON upgrade.

There are multigigabit capable routers on the 5G side. I would imagine the engineering would combine the Fios and 5G Router product lines together in the future.

dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

It will be interesting to see what Verizon rolls out next year.

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Realistically speaking, Verizon will need a new router. The Ethernet ports are 1Gbps, and the MoCA Chipset, while being 2.5Gbps, only provides that in a half duplex manner. 1.2+Gbps is going to need an upgrade to Ethernet or better MoCA standards.

Verizon was at some point experimenting with integrated ONT + Router devices. For a short while there was a G2100 router on the FCC database. Something like that would be capable of delivering whatever the Fiber could supply.

As for the future of FiOS? Hard to say. To go beyond 1Gbps, Verizon will need to start deploying XGS-PON or NG-PON2. GPON has 2.4Gbps/1.2Gbps to share with an entire PON as is. The XGS-PON ONTs I've seen in the field all include 2.5Gbps Ethernet ports, and some are capable of 10Gbps Ethernet (XGS-PON is 10Gbps symmetrical for the entire PON).

Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

Maybe there's an upgrade coming...

dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

Also curious if FiOS equipment in former Verizon territories (Frontier, Consolidated) will upgrade the infrastructures left by Verizon. 🤔

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Frontier is actively moving customers ordering 1Gbps service to XGS-PON. Lower speed tiers will end up on whatever is available.