G3100 GPL Firmware
Scottsomuni
Enthusiast - Level 2

I noticed that there is a GPL firmware version for this router here https://www.verizon.com/supportresources/content/dam/verizon/support/consumer/documents/open-source/...

I was curious how to flash it?  And are there any benefits / features to it?  Any information would be appreciated.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: G3100 GPL Firmware
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

The source code on Verizon GPL portal only contains open-sourced modules. The file does not contain the proprietary code and hence you cannot compile to a complete flashable binary image. Furthermore, since you don't have the proprietary compiler toolchain, you cannot build the binary image.

To upgrade to the newest firmware, simply connect your G3100 to the Verizon network. Upon booting, the G3100 would request Verizon backend for any pending updates, and install them if they exist. You can also submit a written request to the Open Source division at Verizon to request a machine-readable copy of the binary image. This would incur a nominal fee however.

View solution in original post

Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

The source code on Verizon GPL portal only contains open-sourced modules. The file does not contain the proprietary code and hence you cannot compile to a complete flashable binary image. Furthermore, since you don't have the proprietary compiler toolchain, you cannot build the binary image.

To upgrade to the newest firmware, simply connect your G3100 to the Verizon network. Upon booting, the G3100 would request Verizon backend for any pending updates, and install them if they exist. You can also submit a written request to the Open Source division at Verizon to request a machine-readable copy of the binary image. This would incur a nominal fee however.

Scottsomuni
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thank you for the quick reply.  I was hoping similar to how Asus offers Merlin for some of their routers that Verizon was doing the same.  It would be nice to have some more advance features and choices for those that want them.