G3100 Router + Compatible MoCA Adapter
FlyingTrapeze

Hello,

I recently got the new G3100 router and I need help deciding a compatible MoCA adapter. I have my own ECB6200 MoCA adapter which is used to work fine with older Fios router but for some reason I'm getting random disconnects to my PC after upgrading to the new router. Any advice on what setup should I apply before I purchase the $55/$99 Fios Network Adapter/Fios MoCA Ethernet Adapter?

Thanks,

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: G3100 Router + Compatible MoCA Adapter
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

ECB6200/WCB6200 are confirmed to have compatibility issues with the newer MoCA 2.5 standard. They should not be deployed in newer setups and existing units should be phased out.

ECB5240M (FNA) and MEA both work with G3100 and G1100. MEA has a 2.5GbE port in addition to the three GbE. Comparing with other MoCA adapter vendors and weighing in other factors, I would recommend buying MEA for $99 + tax (should be free shipping). Since multigigabit speeds are coming to residential Fios, you may want to upgrade your home network to multigigabit capable.

If you still own the G1100, it can work with G3100 too through MoCA. You would need to make additional configurations on the G1100 before putting it into your network. Due to the older chip in G1100, it can only pull a maximum throughput of 500Mbps.

View solution in original post

Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

ECB6200/WCB6200 are confirmed to have compatibility issues with the newer MoCA 2.5 standard. They should not be deployed in newer setups and existing units should be phased out.

ECB5240M (FNA) and MEA both work with G3100 and G1100. MEA has a 2.5GbE port in addition to the three GbE. Comparing with other MoCA adapter vendors and weighing in other factors, I would recommend buying MEA for $99 + tax (should be free shipping). Since multigigabit speeds are coming to residential Fios, you may want to upgrade your home network to multigigabit capable.

If you still own the G1100, it can work with G3100 too through MoCA. You would need to make additional configurations on the G1100 before putting it into your network. Due to the older chip in G1100, it can only pull a maximum throughput of 500Mbps.

FlyingTrapeze

Interesting. Too bad I had to return my old router that was replaced by the newer G3100 router.

Quick question: So even third-party MoCA 2.5 adapters have issues with G3100 as well? 

Thank you!

0 Likes
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

ECB/WCB6200 are not MoCA 2.5 adapters, they are MoCA 2.0 bonded adapters. Not that third-party MoCA 2.5 adapters have problems with G3100, it is that Verizon/Actiontec WCB6200Q has problems with G3100.

To my knowledge, nearly all third-party MoCA 2.5 adapters would work with G3100 because they all have the same chips from MaxLinear. MaxLinear currently holds a de facto monopoly on MoCA chips.