G3100 as network extender (?)
TheAlbaz
Enthusiast - Level 1

My partner and I moved in together and we both own our G3100 router. I was curious if one can be used as a network extender and, if so, how. Thanks

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: G3100 as network extender (?)
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

You need a computer connected to the G3100 in a standalone fashion, meaning, besides the computer, no other devices should be connected to the G3100 either wired (through Ethernet or Coax) or wirelessly. The computer can be connected to the G3100 either wired or wireless. Make sure your computer has an IP address in the 192.168.1.0/24 subnet. Then go to 192.168.1.1 and type in the admin password upon prompt.

You cannot configure the G3100 while connected to the rest of your home network. Doing so would create an IP conflict and mess up your entire network.

More detailed instructions are available on the bridging widget disclaimer.

View solution in original post

Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

Haha, the last post on this Forum asks the same thing. https://forums.verizon.com/t5/Fios-Internet/G3100-AP-Repeater-Mode/td-p/911473 

Please follow the G1100 Bridging Guide. Steps are the same for a G3100. https://forums.verizon.com/t5/G1100-Bridging-Guide/bd-p/g1100-bridging-guide 

G3100 can be used as an access points and a 4+1 port switch (bridging the Broadband interface).

TheAlbaz
Enthusiast - Level 1

oops sorry didn't see that. I am not sure how to enter the settings menu on the router I want to use as an extender. if I connect to it wirelessly and go to 192.168.1.1 it tells me "no internet detected" which is normal because I have the other router connected to it. Do I have to connect via ethernet port...or...?

0 Likes
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

You need a computer connected to the G3100 in a standalone fashion, meaning, besides the computer, no other devices should be connected to the G3100 either wired (through Ethernet or Coax) or wirelessly. The computer can be connected to the G3100 either wired or wireless. Make sure your computer has an IP address in the 192.168.1.0/24 subnet. Then go to 192.168.1.1 and type in the admin password upon prompt.

You cannot configure the G3100 while connected to the rest of your home network. Doing so would create an IP conflict and mess up your entire network.

More detailed instructions are available on the bridging widget disclaimer.

Skinsfan1
Enthusiast - Level 1

The bridging guide is not working.  Where can I get detailed instructions to use a second G3100 as an extender? 

Thanks!

0 Likes
kh-gary
Moderator Emeritus

In order to keep discussion on the community current, this topic has been locked to prevent new replies. If you have a similar question or issue that you wish to discuss, then please feel free to post a new message on the most relevant board. Thanks!

0 Likes