G3100 - how to fix speed and range issues
BombayRuns

After the Verizon G3100 upgraded to 3.0.1.12. I have seen issues with range and speeds.

To fix this I have these settings:-

1. Turn of SON if you aren't using extenders

2. Turn off 2.4 GHz broadcast (turn WMM and Power save off as well)

3. Set the SSID to same for all three 2.4 GHz , 5G 1 & 5G 2

4. Under Wifi --> Channel settings.. Run "Perform Scan" and set the channel to a channel that doesn't overlap

I have found my devices connect to 5G if not they downgrade to 2.4. If 2.4GHz broadcast is on, then when FiOS G3100 is rebooted, devices connect to 2.4Hz and stay on it. 

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: G3100 - how to fix speed and range issues
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

Even if you have extenders, you can still turn off the SON. The synchronization of SSIDs and PSKs between the G3100 and E3200s can still be done without the SON.

You should not turn off the 2.4GHz if you have legacy wireless devices. Your devices automatically connect to the 2.4GHz band is likely because they have memorized the credentials for the 2.4GHz. Given 2.4GHz waves have better penetration than 5GHz, devices are always going to see 2.4GHz as a stronger band and connect to it by default. This undesirable mechanism can be prevented by forgetting the 2.4GHz on individual devices.

With the 3.0.1.x upgrade, users should see an increasing in wireless performance. Users now have access to two 5GHz bands controlled by two separate chipsets and each can deliver 900Mbps+ throughput.

View solution in original post

dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

Disabling SON is recommended even if there are no extenders in use. 🙂

Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

Even if you have extenders, you can still turn off the SON. The synchronization of SSIDs and PSKs between the G3100 and E3200s can still be done without the SON.

You should not turn off the 2.4GHz if you have legacy wireless devices. Your devices automatically connect to the 2.4GHz band is likely because they have memorized the credentials for the 2.4GHz. Given 2.4GHz waves have better penetration than 5GHz, devices are always going to see 2.4GHz as a stronger band and connect to it by default. This undesirable mechanism can be prevented by forgetting the 2.4GHz on individual devices.

With the 3.0.1.x upgrade, users should see an increasing in wireless performance. Users now have access to two 5GHz bands controlled by two separate chipsets and each can deliver 900Mbps+ throughput.