G3100 loses connectivity when computer sleeps
rld20211
Enthusiast - Level 3

I recently switched from 1100 to G3100 router. Ever since it was installed, i lose internet connectivity whenever my computers (desktop, dell laptop, mac book pro) goes into sleep mode. It takes about 1 min to reconnect.  All computers are hard wired via ethernet.  No wifi.  Never happened with the 1100.  I use my computers for work so when i walk away i lose my connection and need to reestablish when i wake it up.  

called tech support three times--no clue.  They thought i was a router issue so they sent me a replacement and of course it does the same thing.  Any idea.  I have already tried "unchecking" the box under network adapter that allows computer to shut off device.  

My mac book pro says "seeking IP address" when it is trying to connect again so i assume that it is losing IP address every time.

Any thoughts?  

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: G3100 loses connectivity when computer sleeps
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

Once you have installed the Wireshark, open the software and select the network interface you want to monitor. All this should be done without the Ethernet cable being plugged in.  Then plug in your Ethernet cable between your computer and router, and wait to see what sort of packets is flowing between your computer and the router. After your computer acquires a network connection, could you save the captured traffic and send a copy to me via PM? I am going to take a look.

View solution in original post

Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

I am confused. When you say "G3100 loses connectivity," do you mean the white circle on the G3100 turns yellow every time your computer goes to sleep? Or do you mean the computers themselves lose connectivity? If it is the latter, I would assume DHCP takes sometime to get an IP address. You can try to set static IPs on your devices to see whether the problem still persists.

rld20211
Enthusiast - Level 3

thank you very much for the reply.  The latter is correct, the computers themselves lose connectivity and you are also correct that the DHCP takes sometime to get an IP address.   Can you please explain how to set static IPs on my devices.  i will give it a try!

0 Likes
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

For setting Windows static IP, please follow these instructions: https://www.trendnet.com/press/resource-library/how-to-set-static-ip-address 

For setting MacOS static IP, please follow these instructions: https://www.linksys.com/ca/support-article?articleNum=142254 

On Windows machine, you might also want to set the network as Private and Trusted. I am wondering if that is also creating the issues you are having.

rld20211
Enthusiast - Level 3

thanks again for the response.  I tried following the instructions in the link but when i type in my IP address and the subset, it disconnects and does not reconnect.  Am i to type all 4 codes (xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx) or just the first three as it states.  Also, Underneath the IP address information there are spaces for "DNS" server address?  Do I enter something in these fields?  It does not say to enter anything in the instructions?  Perhaps i am missing a step or something?  I had to revert back to automatic to reconnect.  Any thoughts?

0 Likes
rld20211
Enthusiast - Level 3

thanks again

0 Likes
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

In a typical Fios residential network, your device's IP should be 192.168.1.x (x can be 2-254). The subnet mask is 255.255.255.0 for a 24 bit network. The default gateway is your router's IP address, which is 192.168.1.1. Your DNS server again should be your router, 192.168.1.1. You can leave the secondary DNS server blank.

rld20211
Enthusiast - Level 3

I just tried inputting the numbers and no luck--it still disconnects when computer goes to sleep.  Then connects after about a minute.  It says "identifying....." then connects.  I tried on both Windows 10 and 11 computers and same thing (i thought it could be a Windows thing."  Do you think it could be a setting under the router settings?  Do you have this problem?  

0 Likes
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

No, it has nothing to do with the router. My test G3100 does not have this issue when connecting to a Dell Inspiron. Can you install WireShark on your computer and watch what your network card is doing when it shows “identifying?”

Do you have other networking devices in your network? Such as a NVR, a switch, and etc.?

rld20211
Enthusiast - Level 3

OK, i just installed Wireshark.  Can you please advise how to use it?  thank you for the assistance and support.

0 Likes