G3100 router DNS error
sikm3
Enthusiast - Level 2

Intermittent "arca-agent-loader" warning.

Logs state "[DDNS.4][SYS] Fail to start DDNS" error message while the router blinks yellow. Service is restored 5 seconds later.

This happens 2-3 times one day then nothing for a week and then back again once or twice another day. Been happening this way for a while and it's not uncommon I'm rebooting the network at least once every 2 weeks.

TV service never drops. I can't stream a movie from Amazon without heavy degradation 2-3 times during the streaming session. In some cases the streaming session buffers incessantly. I have 75/75 service and the ONT is 19yrs old.

I fathom this is a G3100 software issue but hoping others may have a solution. An appt has been made with Verizon tech.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: G3100 router DNS error
sikm3
Enthusiast - Level 2

Problem solved - ONT was degrading (19yo) and the older style ONT was replaced with the newest version. Now i get the speeds i pay for consistently and movies stream in full 1080p HD without dropping. Time will tell if the G3100 behaves normally and doesn't throw a DNS error.

View solution in original post

annoyed-consume
Enthusiast - Level 2

I had this same issue last year.. and after a few days of troubleshooting i returned the G3100.  

my ONT was also very old at the time.. and i suspect that was part of the issue

Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

Can you go to G3100's WAN settings and manually enter a DNS address of your choice? Like 8.8.8.8 or 8.8.4.4? This is likely a layer 3 issue on Verizon's end rather than has something to do with the G3100 itself.

sikm3
Enthusiast - Level 2

how would i go about testing this?

0 Likes
sikm3
Enthusiast - Level 2

Problem solved - ONT was degrading (19yo) and the older style ONT was replaced with the newest version. Now i get the speeds i pay for consistently and movies stream in full 1080p HD without dropping. Time will tell if the G3100 behaves normally and doesn't throw a DNS error.