G3100 web interface stops working - fixed by rebooting router
gburlingame1
Enthusiast - Level 3

I've had the G3100 for a couple of months now and I've noticed that the web interface has stopped working on about 3-4 occasions.  It happened most recently this morning.

Neither its IP address nor the URL myfiosgateway.com send a response to any computer or web browser that try to connect on my internal LAN.  It as though the G3100's web server gets into a crashed or hung state -- I suspect a firmware bug.  Perhaps if I forget to logout the session doesn't ever time out?  I noticed there is a cap of no more than 6 concurrent sessions.

The iPhone app myfios works as expected when the web interface is borked, in fact that is how I rebooted it this morning.  In the past I have pulled the power cord.

Once the router reboots the web interface becomes responsive and things work as expected.  Example:  Open web browser, try to connect -- will not connect.  Leave browser window open.  Reboot router.  Once router finishes rebooting, connect via web interface and observe it works as expected.

Has anyone else run into this issue?

It's running firmware 1.3.6.27

Hardware rev is 1103

Cheers,

Greg

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: G3100 web interface stops working - fixed by rebooting router
gburlingame1
Enthusiast - Level 3

It's now been about 5 weeks since I switched to the replacement G3100.  Over that time I have never once observed the web interface freezing.  At this point I believe enough time has past to confidently mark this issue as SOLVED. 

I have to recommend that if you are encountering this problem, push Verizon to exchange your G3100 like I did.  I don't really know if there is a HW problem with some G3100's, or a bug that only happens in some combination of steps or settings that some of us perhaps stumbled into unknowingly.  

In any event, getting a new G3100 appears to be the only solution at the moment.

I hope this helps.

Greg

P.S.  See my related post about port forwarding not working on the G3100 in case you are having trouble with that too.

View solution in original post

dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

#1 While we get you that you have FIOS Internet. Do you also have FIOS TV?

#2 Before the router crashes, are you able to access the Internet?

#3 Besides using a Wireless (your iPhone) connection, does a wired connection work?

#4 Do you have a  separate RJ-45 WAN port NAT router?

Note even if you are not using the separate NAT router, please say so. For example

Yes but not in use and the other router is a Linksys E4200
0 Likes
gburlingame1
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thank you for your reply dslr595148.  Here are my answers to your questions:

#1 While we get you that you have FIOS Internet. Do you also have FIOS TV?

Answer:  Yes, I do have FIOS TV.

#2 Before the router crashes, are you able to access the Internet?

Answer:  I would not say that the router crashes.  I am able to access the internet without any difficulty, that works as expected.  What I believe MAY be crashing is the web server running on the router that serves the configuration pages.  But that is just a theory, it could just as easily be something else.  

#3 Besides using a Wireless (your iPhone) connection, does a wired connection work?

Answer:  Neither wired nor wireless connections to the G3100 are able to access the web interface when it is not responding.  

#4 Do you have a  separate RJ-45 WAN port NAT router?

Answer:  No, I only have one router.  I do not have a double NAT configuration.  

Best regards,

Greg

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

Ok.

I suspect that you are right. Firmware bug

In the meantime, while waiting for a fix - trying to find out more info about this router.

Does this router have another way of controlling it?

Like telnet or SSH.

telnet://192.168.1.1

0 Likes
gburlingame1
Enthusiast - Level 3

It doesn't reply to Telnet or SSH.  

It responds to the Fios app.

0 Likes
nasal
Enthusiast - Level 1

I thought it was my kids preventing me from accessing the router until I found your post.  The only way to fix it was to reboot the router.  Thanks for raising this issue.  Hopefully, they will push out a fix for the router.

I'm running the same firmware and hardware version.

0 Likes
gburlingame1
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thank you for posting that you're having the issue too.  I hope they take care of this in a firmware update.

0 Likes
CWODRSRET

I am having this issue as well. The WebGUI works for several days after a reboot, then it wigs out, have to reboot again to be able to log into it! Verizon is this a Firmware Bug and if so when will you guys push out a fix, this is really annoying!

Thanks

0 Likes
gburlingame1
Enthusiast - Level 3

I'm the original poster -- I continue to have the problem.  I called tech support last week and they recommended saving my settings, doing a factory reset, and then restoring my saved settings. 

In case they have you do that -- DON'T DO IT.  There appears to be another bug -- after I restored my settings the G3100 refused to route any traffic to the internet.  It had a WAN IP address, was fully responsive on the LAN using its local IP address -- but it simply would not route to the internet.  Tech support could see it remotely and kept trying to convince me everything was OK and it had to be something on my LAN -- couldn't possibly be the G3100.  Good lord, so frustrating.

I did another factory reset but this time I did not restore my settings and the router functioned properly.  Of course that meant I had to manually  then manually change all the settings back the way I had them before I wasted my time on this journey.  

I had a sliver of hope that maybe, just maybe the factory reset would help but alas, after just a few days the web interface stopped working again. 

Tech support did tell me they have a new build that is internal beta testing -- I hope we see that soon.  I'd hoped the Tier 2 tech would tell me "oh yeah, we know about that bug...don't worry a fix is coming" but instead I was told "you seem to be the only person with that problem" which is what sent me down that pointless factory reset path.

I ultimately persuaded another tech to ship me a replacement router -- which I just installed yesterday.  It's the same build of HW (1103) and it's running the same version of FW (1.3.6.27).  I'll be pleasantly surprised if the web interface continues to function after a week or so without needing a reboot, but there's little doubt in my mind they have a bug -- and apparently they're not seeing it in their internal testing and not enough of us have been complaining about it. 

0 Likes
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

A user over on dslreports figured out the G3100's UI freezes s/he was seeing were due to having a smart home device with an apostrophe in the name on the network.  When the apostrophe was removed, the UI remained stable.  You can read about it here:

https://www.dslreports.com/forum/r32735902-Router-G3100-web-interface-issues

If others determine this is the cause of their issues, I encourage you to report it to Verizon through @VerizonSupport on Twitter or https://www.dslreports.com/forum/vzdirect.  Both methods reach the same team, it's simply a question of if you prefer to tweet or post.