GPON vs BPON
SteveP2
Contributor - Level 2
How can I find out if my area is one or the other? I would like to increase my Internet speed but I understand I need to be GPON to go higher than 35/35.
0 Likes
Re: GPON vs BPON
prisaz
Legend

BPON will support 50/20. from what I have been offered in my area. I would call sales and ask if 150/35 is available. I am sure they could look it up. Tech support would should also be able to see what type of OLT your line is on, or perhaps what is available out of your CO. You would also need a different ONT. Do you know your model of ONT? 

If you want 50/20, I don't believe it is offered in a bundle. NYC is being offered 150/35 bundles from what I read.

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/16637

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

BPON can technically do 150Mbps/75Mbps, but the limits with it would be oversubcription, perhaps the OLTs and also the 100Mbps ports on the BPON ONTs. If you're on GPON already, you should be able to get the 150Mbps+ speed already. Best way to tell if your ONT is GPON or not is to check the model number and to also check to see if the ONT has a Gigabit Ethernet port on it. Gigabit Ethernet or particular ONT models are the tell-tale signs of being on GPON.

As far as the difference between the two technologies? From your end you'll see lower latency on GPON (You'll go from say, 6ms on BPON to the gateway router to 1ms or less), more consistent latency on GPON, and higher speeds. I'm pretty sure this is due to how often each device on a split fiber pair can transmit and receive data, thanks to the capacity GPON offers.

prisaz
Legend

Actually 662/155 to the passive splitter if you really want to nail it down. But you can't give the whole OLT bandwidth to a single subscriber, and then as stated, the 100Mb/s ONT port would also be a limit. If you look at the original AFC spec of the OLT and divide that by 32 at the passive splitter, we are already over subscribed. If all taps on the splitter are used.

20.6875/4.428571428571429 if you do the math. That is why it was only offered at 20/5 at one time. Verizon had to do some upgrades to compete with Cable. I suspect the OLT end was changed, and if you wanted higher that 29/25 you had to get rid of your old ONT 610x and move to the 612. So all customers going to Ultimate 35/35 were offered the 612.

Oh well, I don't think I will need 150/35 anytime soon.

prisaz
Legend

APON, BPON, GPON this shows a good breakdown. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Passive_optical_network#Standards

APON/BPON runs ATM. GPON I believe runs more like Ethernet.

" A typical APON/BPON provides 622 megabits per second (Mbit/s) (OC-12) of downstream bandwidth and 155 Mbit/s (OC-3) of upstream traffic, although the standard accommodates higher rates."

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

@prisaz wrote:

APON, BPON, GPON this shows a good breakdown. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Passive_optical_network#Standards

" A typical APON/BPON provides 622 megabits per second (Mbit/s) (OC-12) of downstream bandwidth and 155 Mbit/s (OC-3) of upstream traffic, although the standard accommodates higher rates."

Be awesome if ATM + PPPoE was finally killed off. So much overhead and MTU limits suck.

0 Likes
prisaz
Legend

@Smith6612 wrote:

@Praise wrote:

Be awesome if ATM + PPPoE was finally killed off. So much overhead and MTU limits suck.

Since this thread was mentioned worthy of reading, I thought I would follow up reading it and also post some information that I have experienced.Smiley LOL

I started out with the AFC ONT 610x and 15/2 Mbps, moved to 20/5 Mbps as a free be Verizon gave out. Then when I made the leap to 35/35 is when things got choked to 35/29, and I was upgraded to my ONT 612. I was one of the first FiOS customers in my area and migrated from ADSL PPPoE, to FiOS PPPoE. Still at PPPoE and had no issues withe 35/35 and when they recently took the lid off, I had 43+Mbps down and 36+Mbps up. And it was 24/7 with now slow downs. The only issues I have found are very few ISPs will let you push 35Mbps through their routers to the end user.

As a test, I set up a SSH server and had a Comcast user login that was 20 miles North of me in Maryland, and he was using WinSCP though my 2048SSL encrypted SSH connection. It may have been some of the overhead but the best he could get from me was 7Mbps. Comcast had the route from Verizon in Restion Virginia going though West Virginia, back to Maryland. Which is where we both are. My route goes to Washington D.C., then to Verizon's backbone in Reston, Va.

Interesting test. I have since dropped back to 25/25 and Extreme, as a cost cutting measure. If I can't send 8gigs of data faster than 7Mbps because of the other provider, I figured what is the point? Yes the other user was getting 25Mbps speeds with speedtest.net to Reston, Va. Why not from me? My speed test to Reston Va. was like 43/36. Not and issue anymore, since servers violate the TOS, but I did it as a test.

0 Likes