Gateway Router Settings and Wired Ethernet
DCPete

I recently switched to FIOS and have been having an issue with my home network that I know is a settings issue with their gateway router. My house is wired for cat5e and has a gigabit switch in the basement next to the FIOS ONT. The gateway router is connected upstairs on this network to the ONT (and coax) and connects to the internet and puts out a wireless signal. The problem is that the gateway only recognizes ethernet connections that are connected directly to it's built in switch and not those on the broader network. My roku box, playstation, etc.., are not connecting. The Verizon tech I spoke to mumbled something about a bridge before telling me he could not help with these kinds of settings and I need to call premium support. Anyone know what the issue is? I've been searching but haven't found anything yet. When the tech did my initial home setup, it worked just fine. But now it's not assigning IP addresses to anything on the basement switch. 

0 Likes
Re: Gateway Router Settings and Wired Ethernet
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

So if I understand you correctly, rotuer conects to ONT via coax only.
You then have a cat 5 cable from router to switch.

Do you have link light on both switch port and router?

I have a a switch that connects to my router and have no issue with devices getting on network.

And I have a bridge WAP that provides service to my basement and those devices work on that as well.

0 Likes
Capricorn1
Community Leader
Community Leader

I am thinking along the same lines as CRobGauth. It sounds like they ran the COAX from the ONT in the basement to the WAN side of the gateway upstairs, but didn't run an Ethernet cable from one of the LAN ports on the gateway back down to your switch that serves the rest of your house.

0 Likes
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@DCPete wrote:

I recently switched to FIOS and have been having an issue with my home network that I know is a settings issue with their gateway router. My house is wired for cat5e and has a gigabit switch in the basement next to the FIOS ONT. The gateway router is connected upstairs on this network to the ONT (and coax) and connects to the internet and puts out a wireless signal. The problem is that the gateway only recognizes ethernet connections that are connected directly to it's built in switch and not those on the broader network. My roku box, playstation, etc.., are not connecting. The Verizon tech I spoke to mumbled something about a bridge before telling me he could not help with these kinds of settings and I need to call premium support. Anyone know what the issue is? I've been searching but haven't found anything yet. When the tech did my initial home setup, it worked just fine. But now it's not assigning IP addresses to anything on the basement switch. 

Are you saying the gateway router is connected to the ONT with coax AND ethernet?  If so means your ont was provisioned for ethernet and so then you need to connect a lan port of the gateway router back to the switch and all will work fine.  
If on the other hand the installer connected the ont ethernet port to the switch and then the switch to the verizon router (an unusual thing to do)  your other devices connected to the switch will be connected to the outside network and not the internal house 192.168.1 network - they will be physically connected but will have no address as there dhcp request will be refused as you can only have one ip address unless you are a business account.

0 Likes