Gateway router drops wired connection randomly and frequently
DKfromLI1
Enthusiast - Level 1

I know there are a couple of threads on this already, but I couldn't find one that showed a solution.  I was having this problem and after countless searches and fiddling with settting, I finally found a solution and wanted to share.

Problem: After getting FIOS installed with 50/50 service and the Gateway G110 router, I noticed that my hardwired connected PC kept dropping the network connection.  It kept happening randomly and at a frequency that ranged from every few seconds to a few minutes.  My wireless devices had no problems at all.  This was a problem because for me to connect to my work, I required a stable connection since it would detect the drop and disconnect me (frustrating).  I tried plugging in to different ports on the back, but same experience.

Steps taken:

- Complained to Verizon: they did various things on their side but said there was no problem there so they sent me a replacement router

- Replacement router had same problems - just to make sure, I didn't change anything from the default

- My PC (HP) uses the Realtek PCIe Family Controller for its NIC - I tried to update the driver but Windows 10 told me it was the latest.  Went to their website and found there was a slightly newer one for Windows 10 and so I force upgraded it.  I got an error message, but the driver version did update.  Technically at this point, I was still experiencing the same issues.  But I think this was part of the solution - see below for the latest Win10 driver version (as of 11/14/15)

- Found on another forum somewhere else to try turning off the energy saver.  That didn't make any sense since this was happening to my PC while it was still on and not from returning from SLEEP mode.  But I tried it anyway.  See screenshot blow where I turned the "Energy Efficient Ethernet" setting to "disabled"

And VOILA!  No more dropped connections.  I might have restarted after this too, but yeah, it worked after this.  Steady connection since.  YMMV - good luck to you!

1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Gateway router drops wired connection randomly and frequently
buzzvader
Enthusiast - Level 1

Hey! I wanted to reply because this worked for me too. Just got FiOS installed and was having the same problem. Used your solution and it worked! Contacted Verizon by phone to tell them what you did. Nice going and thanks for your help.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
buzzvader
Enthusiast - Level 1

Hey! I wanted to reply because this worked for me too. Just got FiOS installed and was having the same problem. Used your solution and it worked! Contacted Verizon by phone to tell them what you did. Nice going and thanks for your help.

0 Likes
DKfromLI1
Enthusiast - Level 1

Thanks Buzzvader - psyched that it worked for you! 

thx!

0 Likes
zubinh23
Enthusiast - Level 3

I just wanted to express my sincere thanks to you for posting this. I had the exact same issue. Verizon replaced my ONT, router and power supply and the problem still existed. But after following your steps, everything has worked great! THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!

0 Likes
TLW1969

Thank you so much for posting your problem and finding a solution! I had the same exact issue and needed to be hardwired for remote work and you are my hero! Verizon take note! I was on the phone with your tech for 30 minutes and not once was this solution offered or acknowledged! I have missed two important work classes because of this! Anyway, thank you again! 

0 Likes
LawrenceC
Moderator Emeritus

As this thread is now over two years old, it will be locked in order to keep discussions current. If you have the same or a similar question/issue we invite you to start a new thread on the topic.

0 Likes