Geographic location
AndyFios
Enthusiast - Level 2

I am physically in Maryland, but when I go to the automatic time zone settings, I'm told that I'm in Massachusetts.  Why?

1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Geographic location
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

It's probably an out of date GeoIP database that is being called upon when you run the automatic time zone settings if this is for a piece of software. Verizon might have moved around a block of IPs to another area or perhaps purchased a block of IPs from another provider.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

It's probably an out of date GeoIP database that is being called upon when you run the automatic time zone settings if this is for a piece of software. Verizon might have moved around a block of IPs to another area or perhaps purchased a block of IPs from another provider.

0 Likes
AndyFios
Enthusiast - Level 2

Is there anyway to get an IP address that is local? It's mildly annoying as there are various sites, like weather, which default to local weather which winds up showing as MA, not MD.

@Smith6612 wrote:

AndyFios
Enthusiast - Level 2

When I went to 'whatismyipaddress.com', the location is correct. My solution was to manually set the time zone in my computer's settings. Thanks.