Getting FiOS installed
Chillie
Enthusiast - Level 1

I am planning on signing up for the FiOS plan with TV, internet, and phone.  Can anyone tell me what outlets they will need to access directly?  For example, I would need to move a ton of stuff if they need to get to the cable outlet that one of my tv's is connected to and the same thing with the telephone wall jack that I use for my current DSL internet.  Basically, what are all the places that need to be accessible in order to install everything?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Getting FiOS installed
jumpin68ny
Master - Level 2

Basically Verizon will install an ONT on the outside of your house and various other components on the inside of your home.  The ONT takes the Fiber Optic cable in and then allows you to get phone, Internet, TV.  From here they will enter your home with a few cables.  This is usually located where your cable line enter's your home or phone lines enter your home but doesn't have to be.  You may choose to have it installed in a garage if location is possible.  There is a battery backup so you will need to have a power outlet close by.  Then they will tap into your existing COAX line and the verizon provided router will be placed by an existing PC where you may have a COAX line.  If you don't have such a thing existing they will need to run a coax connection.  The Verizon provided router will connect to the Internet via the COAX line and then you can plug PC's into the router or choose to use wireless.

For the TV they will replace any existing set top boxes with the Verizon STB and will only need access to the existing coax cables that plugged into the old stb.  They won't need to touch any of the existing coax cables from the wall or TV unless the signal strength is bad or something is wrong with the cable.   They will need to access the power outlet to plug the STB into.

For the phone they will tap into your existing phone lines, generally no access necessary.

I hope this helps.

View solution in original post

jumpin68ny
Master - Level 2

Basically Verizon will install an ONT on the outside of your house and various other components on the inside of your home.  The ONT takes the Fiber Optic cable in and then allows you to get phone, Internet, TV.  From here they will enter your home with a few cables.  This is usually located where your cable line enter's your home or phone lines enter your home but doesn't have to be.  You may choose to have it installed in a garage if location is possible.  There is a battery backup so you will need to have a power outlet close by.  Then they will tap into your existing COAX line and the verizon provided router will be placed by an existing PC where you may have a COAX line.  If you don't have such a thing existing they will need to run a coax connection.  The Verizon provided router will connect to the Internet via the COAX line and then you can plug PC's into the router or choose to use wireless.

For the TV they will replace any existing set top boxes with the Verizon STB and will only need access to the existing coax cables that plugged into the old stb.  They won't need to touch any of the existing coax cables from the wall or TV unless the signal strength is bad or something is wrong with the cable.   They will need to access the power outlet to plug the STB into.

For the phone they will tap into your existing phone lines, generally no access necessary.

I hope this helps.

prisaz
Legend

Internet Installation talks about the ONT and fiber.

http://www22.verizon.com/Residential/FiOSInternet/Installation/Installation.htm

TV Installation discuses them both to an extent.

http://www22.verizon.com/residential/fiostv/installation/installation.htm

viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@jumpin68ny wrote:

I hope this helps.

You should ask them to install the ONT inside, much cleaner, then you only have the one fiber line coming into the house.  All they will need for that is somewhere to attach it to near to a power outlet.  I gave them a 18 inch piece of plywood screwed to the exposed studs under the electrical breaker box.  Just don't let them connect the phone line by running a wire back out to the old NID.  They did that to a neigbour setup and after a day of heavy rain the phones all died becasus of water in the crimp connections that were exposed outside the nid.

Chillie
Enthusiast - Level 1

This is the same person who asked the question.  I'm not sure if my username changed or not.  Anyway, thanks for the reply.  That really helps a lot.  It looks like all will be fine then.  As long as they don't need to actually access the wall outlets themselves.  Oh and as long as they can install the ONT someplace like the garage even if it is on the opposite side of the house from the circuit breaker and phone box and that stuff.  Because if they need to install anything on the direct other side of the wall that will be difficult because of some stuff that is in front of that wall.  I just thought of one more thing.  Can or is it necessary that the coax be split if I have one coax outlet in a room and I have both a tv and a pc in the same room that need to be connected?

0 Likes
jumpin68ny
Master - Level 2

The COAX can be split if necessary or where ever you have the main splitter they can split in our from there.  

0 Likes