Getting Verizon Triple Play
Bassman11
Enthusiast - Level 2

Moving from RCN to Verizon FiOS. I have an Asus NT-56U, dual band gigabit router. Would like to use it along with the Verizon supplied router. Is this possible? Smiley Frustrated Moreover, is it against Verizon's user policy? Thanks for any help!

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Getting Verizon Triple Play
Capricorn1
Community Leader
Community Leader

TL;DR: Yes. Have your Internet service provisioned on the Ethernet port if it is not going to be done that way already.

Other than when I was activating the FiOS service originally, and during a couple troubleshooting calls, I haven't used a Verizon router at all. It's in a box in the closet. The trick is to get your Internet provisioned on the Ethernet port of the Optical Network Terminal (ONT) rather than the coax port. If you are ordering anything over 100/100 Mbps Internet service, they will do that by default. If you get 100/100 Mbps or less, you can tell the tech you'd like Ethernet when they install it. (You may even be able to specify that when you order it, but I'm not sure.) If your location already had FiOS at some point and already has an ONT, you can self-install your service, but you would need to call customer service to get them to switch you to Ethernet.

Since you are interested in the Triple Play package, I'm assuming you will want FiOS TV service. You need some type of a MoCA (Ethernet over coax) so that Verizon's Set-Top Boxes can get it their guide information and VoD (over the coax). In that case, you might wish to use a FiOS router as either the primary or secondary router because it has a MoCA (2.0 in the case of the G1100) adapter built in. Another solution in that case is to get Internet over coax working using something like the Actiontec ECB6000/ECB6200 MoCA Adapter. Then you can still omit the Verizon router.

As I mentioned above, I only used the Verizon router to activate my service and two times (over more than 10 years) to troubleshoot issues with my FiOS Internet. (In both cases, this was related to upping my Internet speed.) When I got my service, the router was included with a two-year contract. It's an old Verizon MI424WR Rev. I Actiontec router. Now, Verizon would like you to rent or purchase the G1100. I'm not sure if you could rent it for a month and return it. I do know that customer service does not like to troubleshoot any problems if you aren't using a Verizon router, so it's handy to have one around.

View solution in original post

Capricorn1
Community Leader
Community Leader

TL;DR: Yes. Have your Internet service provisioned on the Ethernet port if it is not going to be done that way already.

Other than when I was activating the FiOS service originally, and during a couple troubleshooting calls, I haven't used a Verizon router at all. It's in a box in the closet. The trick is to get your Internet provisioned on the Ethernet port of the Optical Network Terminal (ONT) rather than the coax port. If you are ordering anything over 100/100 Mbps Internet service, they will do that by default. If you get 100/100 Mbps or less, you can tell the tech you'd like Ethernet when they install it. (You may even be able to specify that when you order it, but I'm not sure.) If your location already had FiOS at some point and already has an ONT, you can self-install your service, but you would need to call customer service to get them to switch you to Ethernet.

Since you are interested in the Triple Play package, I'm assuming you will want FiOS TV service. You need some type of a MoCA (Ethernet over coax) so that Verizon's Set-Top Boxes can get it their guide information and VoD (over the coax). In that case, you might wish to use a FiOS router as either the primary or secondary router because it has a MoCA (2.0 in the case of the G1100) adapter built in. Another solution in that case is to get Internet over coax working using something like the Actiontec ECB6000/ECB6200 MoCA Adapter. Then you can still omit the Verizon router.

As I mentioned above, I only used the Verizon router to activate my service and two times (over more than 10 years) to troubleshoot issues with my FiOS Internet. (In both cases, this was related to upping my Internet speed.) When I got my service, the router was included with a two-year contract. It's an old Verizon MI424WR Rev. I Actiontec router. Now, Verizon would like you to rent or purchase the G1100. I'm not sure if you could rent it for a month and return it. I do know that customer service does not like to troubleshoot any problems if you aren't using a Verizon router, so it's handy to have one around.

jonjones1
Legend

@Bassman1 wrote:

Moving from RCN to Verizon FiOS. I have an Asus NT-56U, dual band gigabit router. Would like to use it along with the Verizon supplied router. Is this possible? Smiley Frustrated Moreover, is it against Verizon's user policy? Thanks for any help!

If getting internet only, you are good to go. 

Now if you are getting tv with your internet you need to either have the Quantum router in the mix to get the guide and video on demand. However if you don’t want their router and save huge rental costs per month get a MOCA adapter and use that to get your guide and video on demand.

Bassman11
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hi, thanks for the info! Just for clarification, I am getting the gigabit internet, tv, and phone. Got a good deal (I guess). Anyway, it's less than RCN. I really don't have a problem using the Verizon router for it's MoCA function. I have been reading many reviews on the Verizon router's wireless range/capability. If by chance, I find that's the case, I'd like to be able to use my own wireless router. I'm getting my installation on Wednesday. I'll be back with an update afterwards. Thanks!

0 Likes
Bassman11
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks for the info. I'm getting my installation on Wednesday. Gonna make some assessments after that. I'll make sure to return and let the community know how things work out! Smiley Happy

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

I should have read the heading on your original post sorry.

yes if you don’t mind using the FiOS Quantum Gateway Router to handle your TV guide and video on demand then you will be all set. Just remember the rental fee is going up to $13 from $10 even at $10 that is $240 over two years and beyond for a router you can purchase outright for $100-$150 depending on who you purchase from.

also don’t forget your great deal, has surcharges and taxes and fees associated with that price. Be careful. It’s the tv and phone that really dings your invoice each month.

Bassman11
Enthusiast - Level 2

Any suggestions on where to get one of these router's for a reasonable price? I may consider that option. Yeah, I'm very familiar with all the taxes, fees, etc. It's really a pain to see all that stuff on your bill! Anyway, I guess I'll see how it goes with Verizon. For years, I only had RCN, Comcast to choose from. Verizon just recently came into my area. Even tried Dish Network. So, I've had a taste of it all!! Wish me luck!!

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

Amazon sells them but be careful it is not a Frontier Fios Router. Verizon let part of their network go to Frontier and it’s a Quantum Gateway Router with Frontier firmware flashed on it and it will not function properly no matter what anyone tells you. Amazon has it running from $75 on up. 

Ebay also has them for sale at around $40 sometime lower but again be careful when purchasing.

i like Fios internet. I don’t use the tv since the price is high and loaded with surcharges and fees etc. making it not worth it. With internet only I use a streaming service DirectTVNOW at $40 a month no added crap fees or taxes. I use a VoIP service which is cheaper than Verizon phone so internet only is fantastic.

Good Luck

0 Likes