Getting a Local Only connection with new Quantum Router
game211

I was using the Action Tec router today with no issues. As soon as I switch to the Quantum router all of a sudden my other computer can only get a 'local only' connection.  The computer can connect wirelessly to the network but just not the internet. 

I tried the internet connection wizard, I tried updating the newest driver on the wireless card, I tried resetting the router. Nothing seems to work. I'm getting an excellent signal for a connection but just a local only or limited connectivity connection.

Any suggestions?

0 Likes
Re: Getting a Local Only connection with new Quantum Router
greenpin
Enthusiast - Level 3

Just asking... have you rebooted the client device (computer)? It's possible you simply need to renew your DHCP lease and get a new/changed gateway address. Can you ping other devices (other than the router) on the local network?

0 Likes
game211

Yes I have restarted the computer and also disabled the wireless adapter and reenabled it.  Perhaps it's an issue with Vista or the network adapter? Like I said it was working fine with the actiontec then minutes later wouldn't connect to the internet with Quantum. I put the Actiontec back on and it connected right back to the internet. 

0 Likes
Telcoguru
Master - Level 1

What brand computer do you have? What operating system are you running? What brand wireless card do you have install?

0 Likes
eljefe2
Master - Level 1

@game211 wrote:

Yes I have restarted the computer and also disabled the wireless adapter and reenabled it.  Perhaps it's an issue with Vista or the network adapter? Like I said it was working fine with the actiontec then minutes later wouldn't connect to the internet with Quantum. I put the Actiontec back on and it connected right back to the internet. 

In your original post you said "your other computer."  Does that mean you do get an Internet connection through the new router with at least one device?

I'm thinking if you haven't already, you need to release the WAN IP address assigned to the Actiontec so the new router can be assigned a new WAN IP.

You could release the Actiontec's WAN IP through it's configuration pages; or you could disconnect it, wait 2 hours (or overnight) before powering the Quantum router up; or by calling tech support and asking them to release your IP.

If you've already done any of those or if you can connnect to the Internet with another device....disregard.  Smiley Wink

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

Local only is a very popular Win VISTA error. Especially with other connecting devices.  From my experience usually firewall related. try disabling or uninstalling it.

OR if this sounds familiar, and you have assigned a static IP address in that vista machine, change it to DHCP or automatically assign, There have been instances (there should never have been) where that has caused an issue.

Unidentified Network Local Access Only on Vista Home Basic

0 Likes
Speedy13
Enthusiast - Level 3

You did not release the DHCP lease before changing routers.  It is linked to the router MAC address.

You can reconnect the first router and go into it's settings to release the lease and immediately turn it off so it does not reconnect.  Then change routers the new router will pick up a new lease or you can simply turn off the new router for at least a few hours, the lease on the old router will expire and the new router should pick up a new lease.  Also you could call Verizon and they can release the lease for you.

0 Likes