Getting kicked on and offline, fluctuating speeds and LOTS of downtime.
Jayman

From what I can see I don't appear to have a virus causing this problem or any sort of malware, but my fios internet connection has just been completely unstable for about the past two weeks now. It started with my download speeds slowing down, then it would randomly come back on and about a week ago I lost connection and tried everything to get back online, finally decided to reset my router and I could get back on after that, and the speeds seemed okay, for a short period of time. Then I started getting disconnected for long periods of time, switching about my wireless adapter in USB ports, reconfiguring my connection and reinstalling the wireless drivers or even resetting my router can't get me back online, then suddenly I'll just have a stable connection again out of no where. Is this a common problem, and can anyone lend me any advice as to what I can do about it? I've also been told I can call verizon and get them to resync my connection, is this true as well?

0 Likes
Re: Getting kicked on and offline, fluctuating speeds and LOTS of downtime.
spacedebris
Master - Level 2

@Jayman wrote:

From what I can see I don't appear to have a virus causing this problem or any sort of malware, but my fios internet connection has just been completely unstable for about the past two weeks now. It started with my download speeds slowing down, then it would randomly come back on and about a week ago I lost connection and tried everything to get back online, finally decided to reset my router and I could get back on after that, and the speeds seemed okay, for a short period of time. Then I started getting disconnected for long periods of time, switching about my wireless adapter in USB ports, reconfiguring my connection and reinstalling the wireless drivers or even resetting my router can't get me back online, then suddenly I'll just have a stable connection again out of no where. Is this a common problem, and can anyone lend me any advice as to what I can do about it? I've also been told I can call verizon and get them to resync my connection, is this true as well?

There really are a lot of things that can cause connection issues, especially when connecting wirelessly. Several things to check.

Do you have more than one wireless device?  Do they all have the same problem?

Do you have any non wireless systems? Do they have the same problem?

If only wireless now, can you connect with the wire and see if you continue to have the issue? When this starts happening, does rebooting the router (turn off for 20 seconds and then turn back on) solve the issue?

These would be the first questions to get answers to and then depending on the answers more questions could follow.

0 Likes
Jayman

First, to answer your questions:

Do you have more than one wireless device?

Yes.

Do they all have the same problem?

No.

Do you have any non wireless systems?

No.

Do they have the same problem?

N/A.

If only wireless now, can you connect with the wire and see if you continue to have the issue?

I don't have a wire.

When this starts happening, does rebooting the router (turn off for 20 seconds and then turn back on) solve the issue?

Rebooting doesn't seem to fix it, nor does resetting. Sometimes it will, sometimes it wont.. sometimes just switching around USB slots with my adapter will fix it. But none of this always works, and sometimes none of it works at all. Also, it seems only to happen after there's already been some packet transfer going on.. like if I log into an online game I can play for about 10-15 minutes.. then it seems to start fluctuating, getting really laggy and bouncing my character around. Or if I download a file, it can usually get about 25% to halfway finished with it, and then it'll start getting choppy.. download speed starts fluctuating, and eventually just kicks me offline altogether.

0 Likes
spacedebris
Master - Level 2

Well, since you have multiple wireless devices and only one of them are having an issue. that eliminates the router for the most part. So this is likely an issue on the computer itself. Now if moving the adaptor from one usb port to another fixes the problem for a short time, that is basically resetting your adaptor. Now it could be a problem with the usb port but I really dont think so. Now it could be a problem with the driver/wireless software on the computer. I would try uninstalling your wireless adaptor and re-installing. This may help. If that doenst work then I would suspect a bad wireless adaptor, at which point if it is still under warrenty, I'd call the manufacturer for replacement instructions or if out of warrenty just get a new one.

0 Likes