Re: Gig speeds, not so much
lapper131
Enthusiast - Level 2

Finally found a solution and I'm finally receiving gig speeds.

The brilliant solution?

I have to use the Verizon Fios G1100 router to receive Gig speeds.

I should preface this by confessing my given profession; I'm a network engineer. I say this because I've spent the last decade of my career ensconsed in routing. I know it inside and out and know that routers NEVER make a WAN connection faster; they can only slow down a WAN connection due to processing overhead.

Each packet traversing the router is encapsulated in a layer 3 header that includes destination IP, source IP, as well as things like header checksum and TTL, which need to be read/processed and stripped away to create a Layer 2 frame to be delivered to an end device. 

But contrary to everything I know about how networks work, The Verizon Fios router makes the WAN connection 50% faster than when using a non Verizon router or no router at all. This makes no sense to me, but I cannot argue with the results.

When connected directly to the ethernet port on the Verizon ONT, the fastest speeds i could receive were 600Mbps. When connecting my Asus RT-AC87U router the speeds were in the high 500's. After connecting the Verizon Fios G1100 router to the ONT, my speeds immediately jumped to mid 900's upload and download. That's a 50% increase in speed by using Verizon's router. 

I have no idea why this is the case and I wish someone at Verizon would have just told me that their router is required to receive gig speeds. I had half a dozen techs dispatched to my house and dozens of calls into their tech support people, but not one of them told me their router is required.

I don't know what black magic their router is up to or why their magical router is the only device that delivers the gig speeds, but that's the result after 6 weeks of troubleshooting. 

Verizon wants $10 a month rental for their router, so I bought my own on ebay for $100.

So that's that. Was a tedious and painful process of discovery but my experience shows you cannot receive gig speeds without Verizon's G1100 router.

They also gave me $25 a month off my bill for my troubles (for 12 months), so overall I'm happy with the service now.

Thanks to everyone who reached out here. It's nice to have a community to bounce ideas and experiences off of, especially when dealing with telcos.

Later!

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

So your findings make me curious regarding the RT-AC87U. That router is a bit special in how the hardware NAT Acceleration works. To route at Gig-E speeds, the router needs the following set:

• All DPI and traffic shaping functionality turned off.
  • IPv6 disabled (IPv6 being enabled allows cut through forwarding at the switch level, but disables the proprietary Broadcom Flow Accelerator). With IPv6 enabled, the router is built to expect the manority of heavy traffic to shift to that, handicapping NAT performance but allowing wire speed throughput for IPv6.
  • QoS must be turned off. Adaptive also disables Flow Accelerator but leaves Cut Through Forwarding enabled. Using Traditional or Bandwidth limiter turns off Flow Accelerator and Cut Through Forwarding.
  • Stateful Firewall DoS protection must be turned off.
  • MAC Spoofing must be disabled. Enabled disbles hardware acceleration.

Just some things to consider. The G1100 is built for speed instead of Flexibility and choice. The ASUS is a bit of a swiss army knife that can be made to do the job, but needs convincing and know how.

Doesn't explain why speeds were slow connected directly to the ONT, but I've seen stranger things.

Tobster1

I agree completely, I am also an IT person, I have had the tech support people out three or four times already, I am getting one tenth of gigabit speed, I'm at the point that I guess I'm going to have to accept those speeds since no one can get it to work properly, the guy that came out and test the speed ,called me since I was not able to be at home and told me, there are many things that will affect network speed, I had to stop him there and I told him I could understand if I was getting 700 it said of 940 that would make sense but I'm getting 70 Mbps download on my iMac, I'm getting about 100 on my work computer, what are they going to tell me all of my equipment just no good?

0 Likes
lapper131
Enthusiast - Level 2

Do you have their Quantum gateway? You’ll need that directly connected to the ONT to get gig speeds. Make sure no sense, but that was my fix. Run the speed test from https://www.verizon.com/speedtest/

0 Likes
Tobster1

Yes,I'm using all their equipment, they came in and said everything is ok,but their speed test shows 940 download on the router ,but 70 to my device, I dont get it

0 Likes
lapper131
Enthusiast - Level 2

Is your device hard wired? I’m guessing it is, but gotta ask.

is your device directly connected to the quantum gateway or are there other devices in between? 

How old is your device? 

Have you tried updating the NIC firmware?

0 Likes
Tobster1

Yes ,plugged directly into router, everything was installed sep 8, they came back and replaced the ONT, but still the same, I wonder if the router should be replaced  but all my training and experience tells me it would probably not make a difference 

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

When ever you replace a ONT it’s a good idea to turn off the old DHCP from the router. This can be fine by doing a release and renew from the routers settings.

you must very very quickly unplug the router after you click renew. Or it will grab the old dhcp again.

now you could also simply reset the router back to factory prior to placing it back in service. This can be done after you unplug the Ethernet from the router you can use the electrical outlet then push in the reset button on the router.

many times these resets and new renewed dhcp can fix your connection issues and speed may then work as it should.

as the other poster stated you may get a nic card update if available. But many devices cannot achieve the higher gigabyte speeds.

0 Likes