Customers With Disabilities

quick menu

Gigabit Internet Feedback

SOLVED
Highlighted
Contributor

Gigabit Internet Feedback

Message 1 of 4 (377 Views)

I am seeking input from users with experience with with the new Gigabit Internet connection - speed, quality of service. I get varying speeds with my 100Mb connection. So how reliable is this claim? My current 2 yr contract is less than 30 days old and I am asked to pay $30.00 extra for the bragging rights.

3 REPLIES
Silver Contributor I

Re: Gigabit Internet Feedback

Message 2 of 4 (371 Views)

Varg wrote:

I am seeking input from users with experience with with the new Gigabit Internet connection - speed, quality of service. I get varying speeds with my 100Mb connection. So how reliable is this claim? My current 2 yr contract is less than 30 days old and I am asked to pay $30.00 extra for the bragging rights.

Like any internet service the speeds will vary.

i normally get 940/870 which is what Verizon advertises. Yes gig speed is 1024/1024 but in reality you will go slightly lower. Like I said many factors affect it. 

MVP

[ Edited ]
Message 3 of 4 (330 Views)

If you're getting varying speeds with 100Mbps, moving to 1Gbps won't solve the problem. Best to troubleshoot your current 100Mbps service first, before planning to move to Gigabit. A faster connection could just make the problem worse, if your issue is due to a bad light over the Fiber, for example. Or if the problem is due to Wi-Fi, then nothing will change, and you're just wasting money unless you plan to upgrade the Wi-Fi equipmnt on both ends.

People are also seeing mixed results with the Gigabit product. For some, 940Mbps up and down is what you'll see, and is actually what Gigabit service provides, due to Ethernet overhead. Others are seeing mixed results, presumably because they are on busier PONs (Keep in mind, each FiOS connection is a part of a PON, that is a Passive Optical Network. The PON connects to a port at the Central Office on an OLT - Optical Line Termination). Verizon currently uses GPON tech (Gigabit Passive Optical Network), which is limited to 2.4Gbps down, 1.2Gbps up. A PON can have anywhere from 1 home to 64 homes sharing the bandwidth. That assumes Verizon has more than a 1Gbps Ethernet port on the OLT Side of things to back up the bandwidth - which they probably do if they've sold 1Gbps to you. So with that said, people have reported issues on the upload side of things with being a bit varied, which comes as no surprise. Verizon has provisioned a speed that is grossly oversubscribing the PON by design, on the assumption (and based on statistics) that people will hit the download harder than the upload. After all, you're not paying for the guaranteed Gigabit, but the connection should provide acceptable enough performance that for $200 or less, it's better than what Cable will provide. Unless you're in a Comcast/XFinity area where you're within the magic 500ft range of where Comcast will install "Gigabit Pro", which is an actual Metro Ethernet product.

In the future, if Verizon moves to GEPON, which can do Symmetrical 10Gbps, or NG-PON2, which can do 10Gbps down, 2.5Gbps up, or a newer tech, you'll find 1Gbps far more sustainable on FiOS.

Contributor

Message 4 of 4 (249 Views)

Thanks for taking the time to respond. This is very nice tutorial and very informative. I learnt a lot.

Your reco about fixing the current speed and bandwidth issues is well placed and I will focus on this for now. Bragging rights of Gig-a-bit Internet will have to wait.

Verizon Troubleshooters
Unable to find your answer here? Try searching Verizon Troubleshooters for more options.

My Verizon

• Check Email
  • Add or Change Services
  • Suspend My Service
  • Manage Services

Support

Watch Fios