Re: Gigabit Internet Feedback
Angolaroad
Enthusiast - Level 3

I have used AVG TuneUp for many years and it has worked well for me and several friends who had major PC problems.  But before you use any of such "cleanup" programs it is wise to "create a restore point". just type those words into Windows Search and follow the instructions. (I am talking MS Windows, not Apple). Always use the latest updated versions. All this updating can take a lot of time (Good that I am retired), and is one reason I am now updating to FIOS Gigabit - to be installed tomorrow.  Will post the results after it is done. 

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

Did you check your speed at https://www.verizon.com/SpeedTest/instantinternet.aspx

which is the only speedtest Verizon accepts.

That laptop has a high enough speed rating so make sure you have it plugged into the routers LAN port (there are 4 of them) and then run your above speed test.

it is possible you are not provisioned correctly. A call to 1-800-VERIZON should have them test your connection from their server to your home router.

do not attempt any speed test over wifi since those numbers will in many cases show lower speeds. Also make sure your computer has all the updates and then turn it completely off and back on.

0 Likes
DrPhil1
Enthusiast - Level 1

I just had my Fios internet service upgraded to Gigabit from 75 mbs. BIG MISTAKE! No my internet is SLOWER than before, and my router has LESS RANGE. I've contacted tech support, which told me I needed a CAT 6 cable instead of the CAT 5 the installer put in. So I put in a new cable (on my own dime) and that helped with the desktop computer connected directly to the modem (although it's only at about 350 mbs). But who used wired connections anymore? Most of my devices are wireless, and I'm averaging about 45 mbs on the 2.8 Ghz "n" network and about 65 mbs on the 5 Ghz "ac" network. And the 5 Ghz band drops off dramatically 15 to 20 feet away. Just two rooms away from the router on the same floor, my 5 Ghz signal is barely useable. I can get a signal at 2.8, but it's slower than what I had with my old router. I am so mad at Verizon now. When I called this morning to complain and ask for my old router back, I was told that I needed to request any changes to my order within 24 hours! So I'm stuck with bad internet service for two years under the terms of my agreement. If you are considering upgrading, BE VERY CAREFUL. Test it thoroughly as soon as you get it. Double check the work of the installers and demand they upgrade cables to CAT 6 so you can at least get over 100 MBs. And call withint 24 hours is you discover that it's worse service than what you can get with 75 mbs. Because if it's anything like my experience, it will be worse. And if you wait to complain after 24 hours, you'll be sorry.

Angolaroad
Enthusiast - Level 3

I also had the gigabit setup installed 3 days ago, used to have 50 mps, now with the new Router do get close to 900 mps at ithe router speedtest and just tested at 698 mps down and 756 up at this Pc - have lots of ethrnet switches and cat 5e and cat 6 cabling all over my home. Are highly satisfied with this FIOS performance (but getting this upgrade through Verizons CS as an existing customer was a nightmare) but the tech and the technology is just super. I use WIFI only for data on a smartphone. the tech who was very knowledgeable told me to use only the 2.4 part of this new router - he warned me several time s to NOT connect to the 5  speed of this new quantum router - "he mentioned something like that works only very close to that router - not in the whole house" so try that - set your wifi to that lower frequency. (I am no expert on that - just relate what a very knowledgeable Verizon Installer told me 3 days ago>)

0 Likes
Jimbostro
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have been in IT for over 25 years and I have never seen network speeds drop like this. I just had FIOS installed. Like everyone else, the speeds are not even close to what they should be. I did the Verizon speed test to the ONT and I get 940 down. OK great but you mean to tell me roughly 600mbps are going to drop from ONT to Verizon Router/PC??? Really??? From ONT, I have cat5e to router, roughly 10 feet (installed by Verizon). My PC is connected to Verizon Quantum router via 6foot cat6 patch cable. PC is showing 1GB connection. My download speeds per Verizon's test was like 360. You mean to tell me I dropped like 600mbps from ONT to my PC? I called support and they had to contact next level engineer and the response was maybe a firewall issue etc, really a firewall blocking 600mbps!!!!! I tried another PC and had same results. Look I get there are all kinds of different variables that can cause problems, but if you are going to gaurantee me over 900mbps up to a point then drop 600mbps to less then 20ft from that point then something is wrong.  I switched to FIOS because Xfinity was horrible in my area, but the funny thing is after all the internet issues with Xfinity, their internet was more responsive and faster then FIOS, well when it worked to its full potential. I am just tired of paying for services I dont receive and these huge companies make millions/billions in profits evey year. 

jhartmac

Mine had one day it was 500 500......other then that it varies DOWNWARD.  Its not my hardware........NOT my router, NOT the ethernet cable.....obviously people should NOT be experiencing different speeds IF hardware is up to date.  There is NO such thing as hub distance anymore not with LIGHT.......the issue is Verizon needs to make sure these customers issues are being addressed vs just saying WELP we show it good on our end.  Even if I plug my ethernet cable directly into my laptop iM not getting the speeds??? WHY?? I mean it did once or twice and that was it.......While each situation needs to be looked at there are some of us who have eliminated the supposed configuration and or hardware issues.......which honestly in my case never existed.....

0 Likes
jhartmac

Yep this is the standard explanation.  Its like a electrician showing up and saying well the panel shows 110 not sure why you're receptical is getting 50 volts lol... But check your hardware port and make sure its set to receive 1.0 gig.  Check you're cable or ethernet make sure its not damaged.  Also if possible use or borrow someone else's computer and check it, also try plugging the cable directly into the computer (if you have ethernet connection) if not you need an adapter.  If you have a fairly NEW computer there should be NO issues simply plug and play.  

0 Likes
jhartmac

When you say not provisioned correctly what does that mean?  I used the verizon site, it does say the Quantim router is 900 900 but that isn't making it when I wire both my computers direclty .these are not...

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

@jhartmac wrote:

When you say not provisioned correctly what does that mean?  I used the verizon site, it does say the Quantim router is 900 900 but that isn't making it when I wire both my computers direclty .these are not...

I think that should be self explanatory. It simply means when you have gigabyte speeds it should be close to 1024/1024 and Fios states up to 940/880 which is clearly stated.

the speeds you are showing are within that disclaimer.  Here is what I normally see speedtest wise from Verizon’s Test serverimageOctober 1, 2017

0 Likes
jhartmac

Update- So I take my laptop OUT to the ONT and wire directly to REMOVE any possibility of "interferance" so guess what.....SAME LOW SPEEDS........so I choose to REBOOT the ONT.......and GUESS WHAT now I get 275 up and 510 download.....SO riddle me THIS batman.....IF the verizon website TEST's the ROUTER at 900 up and down HOW could that be accurate if after I REBOOT the ONT my speeds get better??? THE ONT Is NOT my hardware.......so Verizon someone is lying and it isn't me........

0 Likes