Re: Gigabit Internet Feedback
geek2

My view is Verizon should know, or suggest, what is needed at each step to get the 1Gb performance. One really needs to check the speed coming into the router, and out of the router it must be ethernet connected "Not WiFi (which will be much lower)".  Then on the other side of the ethernet,  which is the computer, there needs to be a dual-band network card,  or atleast include a 5G network adapter with a matching driver.  After that one may come close to a high speed, but still only wuth ethernet.  You will be lucky if you get 1GB.

Without the above essentials after upgrading to the verizon 1Gb service I was getting 30 Mb on WiFi at 50 feet from the Router, and was  getting 49Mb with the competitors 50 Mb service but their router was only 10 feet away. When connected via ethernet to Verizon 1Gb service was getting about 100 Mb.  The service on the input of the router did test to be about 980/920.  Alhough my laptop is only 6 months old (is i7 generation),  it  must have a 2.4Gb network card.  I am waiting to relocate the Router because ethernet connection has to go to a different room,  my dual band USB adapter is on order, and even after that the best I can expect on WiFi will be about 300 - 400 Mb.  By the way, the technician was getting 300-400 Mb on WiFi with his/her super duper tester.  If this writeup helps anyone I will be happy.  

0 Likes
AlanH3

The WiFi on the FIOS Quantum Gateway is just plain terrible.  You will need to purchase a third party Wi-Fi router to get decent Wi-Fi speeds.  Verizon has replace my FIOS Quantum Gateway twice and there was no improvement in Wi-Fi speeds.  I currently have an Apple Time machine as my Wi-Fi and it works at about 10x the speed of Wi-Fi on the Quantum Gateway.  I am upgrading to an even faster solution that should provide even better Wi-Fi performance (the Linksys AC5400, $213 from Walmart).

My FIOS speeds to the house are very good.  You can test those online at Verizon.com or with the My FIOS app on your phone.  You should always check that speed first since it carries all the Internet traffic.  If it is not working optimally, then any speed test results will be skewed.

0 Likes
chriseng

I upgraded last night from 50/50 to gigabit. Now I get about 50/800, connected directly to the ONT.

Verizon claims the slow download speed is because "the order hasn't processed yet".  I guess the upload increasing to 800 was coincidental?

Verizon Support seems completely clueless.

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

@chriseng wrote:

I upgraded last night from 50/50 to gigabit. Now I get about 50/800, connected directly to the ONT.

Verizon claims the slow download speed is because "the order hasn't processed yet".  I guess the upload increasing to 800 was coincidental?

Verizon Support seems completely clueless.

Actually they gave you a proper answer. It is a simple provision problem. 

Many times there are central office issues getting your services balanced for the lack of a better word.

So they were not clueless. 

What you need to do is wait 24 hours or so then call 1-800-VERIZON and have them test the connection from their servers to your home router.

wifi will not be accepted as any speed result. You need to be connected via ethernet to a home computer with a nic card able to obtain the higher speeds.

0 Likes
Silence_D0g00d
Enthusiast - Level 1

The Gigabit service is a fraud!  I've been struggling with this for 5 weeks now.  I've tried EVERYTHING and never got more than 300 mb download on Ethernet.  Verizon support claims that my router gets 950 mb so the problem is my desktop.  HP diagnosed my 1 gigabit capable PC, had me restore Windows 10 and refresh drivers - lots of work, no improvement.  Ran new Cat5e cable, replaced network card, got new router from Verizon - nothing!  Finally had a tech come to my house.  His laptop ethernet connection got only 336 mb.  He said he NEVER saw anyone get close to gigabit performance.  I understand the "up to" claim, but one-third is pretty poor.  WiFi is poor, too.  I was much better off with Comcast Xfinity - the TV platform and phone service is FAR superior to Verizon.  I wonder what the mythical device is that can achieve gigabit performance.  I only wish I had read this forum before my 2 year commitment.  I've spent many hours and a good bit of money chasing the impossible speed.  Fios IS cheaper than Xfinity, but you truely get what you pay for.

0 Likes
Airb330

^^exactly what the last poster said. “You get what you pay for.” We’re saving $50 a month over Xfinity but man the TV guide sucks and the gigabit speeds are a joke. My hardwired PC only generally hits 150 down but the full 880 up. The tech said he never sees advertised speeds in philly. This was the second tech at my house too. I can live with 150 down which means my Wi-Fi ranges from 80-150. The funny thing though is with Comcast, if you paid for 25, you were provisioned for 30 and got 30. If you paid for 75 you were provisioned for 80 and that’s what you got. 

What gets me is verizons site shows me getting 200 down, speedtest.net and dsl reports show around 120 generally but fast.com often only shows 2-3mbps! Again, that’s the hardwired PC. Just all over the place and I know Wi-Fi will always be slower than my Ethernet connection.

Im ok with the speeds since were on a great promo. However if I was paying for the 50/50 tier and was only getting one third of that I’d be livid. We’ll be back to Comcast as soon as the two years are up. *X1 truly is better.*

0 Likes
Wiltfan13

Don't do it; it's a ripoff!  I had my own router and a 50Mbps plan.  I moved to a new apartment, was told the router I was already using with FIOS could not be used and I had to rent (or buy) one of theirs. I have the 1G plan.  I can't get any faster than 125Mbps standing right next to the router with an iPhone 7plus.  The AC antenna should allow me to get some robust speeds and NO I am not looking for 1GB on my speedtest.  I'm a field technican for a cable operator and when our subs have a 300down plan, the speedtest always registers a bit more (say 330Mpbs).  With a 1GB connection, I was looking for speeds in excess of that.  The tech didn't run a speedtest when he installed the svc.  I tried chatting with their support team and my call was dropped twice.  This is **bleep**.  I've had service for a bit more than 2 weeks and I'm cancelling on Monday.  My other issue is the need to constantly reboot the router.  Every time I run their WiFi optimizer, it tells me to reboot the router.  I kid you not, if after rebooting the router, if I check the optimizer, it tells me to reboot it...again.  I get the feeling it isn't checking anything, just tells customers to reboot.  The second issue is constant noise on the channel..any channel I am on.  I understand how noise works; I literally do this for a living.  I don't live in my company's footprint, so I have to use FIOS and it sucks.  Best internet?  Really?  Fastest?  Really?  What a crock!

0 Likes
rvjjr1964
Enthusiast - Level 2

Same here I've been in the IT field for over 30 years.  I'm getting speeds of 4 to 500 download to 400 upload.  The technician that came to my house today said those were incredible speeds and hes never seen anything as fast as that. I live in Rhode Island and I have been in networking for over 20 years not quite understanding how some people I getting 700 down and 700 up sometimes I'm getting 300 down and 400 up. Was just curious what other subscribers are getting.

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

If in IT for all those years then you know WiFi is at best depending on the radio and on the processor power and other factors will get around half of listed direct ethernet speed via a cable connection with a laptop or desktop with top of the line processor and again a ac/radio in the device, and maximum amount of ram etc.

not everyone has that.

my speed this morning: (I redacted my location information on the top)image1-19-2018

0 Likes
Zenmaster1

Just got the 1gigabit internet service  installed after numerous calls.  For the past 2 days, speed tests have only (down/up) speeds of 8/2 MBits (yes mega!!) where 1024/1024 mbits are to be expected ( or just a little bit less in the 900 MBits neighborhood. But not LESS THAN 10mbits down and upload speed!!  Obviously something severely wrong — just could not contact Verizon due to weekend!! So be careful to select this supposedly fast internet service!!! I am not very happy right now!!

0 Likes