Re: Gigabit Internet Feedback
laserman511
Enthusiast - Level 1

if you are using a laptop via wi-fi you will not get the posted speeds,  The 800-900 speeds are only valid on an ethernet connection.  Secondly, which most people forget is that you must also have a gigabit ethernet port, otherwise it will top out around 104 mbps.  

expab

I don't see a difference at all.  A waste of money in my opinion.  Don't buy in all the hype.  

0 Likes
laurencetom

It's been a terrible experience so far. Waited forever to get a tech out to install. After a day I was getting slower speeds than when I had 75/75. I'm standing several feet away from the router and I'm not getting past 90mbps for my gigabit experience. I had tried rebooting and it didn't get any better. Also tried to contact Verizon and had to navigate through all the menus to end up with no help or solution.  

0 Likes
kh-gary
Moderator Emeritus
Hi laurencetom,

Your issue has been escalated to a Verizon agent. Please check your Private Message Inbox for a message from Verizon_Support. You can find your Inbox by clicking on your username at the top right corner of this page. Please direct all correspondence concerning your issue to the agents, who will be assisting you privately.
0 Likes
alissa914

For me, it seems like gigabit internet is essentially just 8 shotgun connections at 100Mbps.  I get no congestion and I get decent connection speeds for me.  I don't get 840Mbps up all the time (sometimes about 400Mbps+) but with everything hardwired in, I don't complain since nothing seems slowed down.  

With my work VPN, I was getting 4Mbps to it with my 100Mbps connection but now it seems my max speed is 40Mbps.... and that's fine because work isn't too demanding on my network.  But while I'm using it for work, I can stream TV with Hulu TV at HD rates (I think about 20Mbps) and Skype, etc. is unaffected by any of that.  Dropbox works just fine at all levels.

So if you're expecting constant 840Mbps speed, you won't get it probably but if you hardwire as much as you can, you'll get consistent 100Mbps speed up and down on most devices almost all the time and you won't run into concerns about saturation of bandwidth.

0 Likes