Gigabit Internet Only Getting 40 mbps hardwired, techs are stumped
bradnyk8422

Hi, even when hard wired directly from the ONT to a computer with a Gigabit LAN card, I am not achieving anywhere close to advertised speeds.  I've had two technicians already come to my apartment.  They've swapped out the ONT box, the router, the wiring, everything.  When testing on verizon's own speed test (the only one Verizon will accept), I am getting 44 down and 186 up right now, connected directly from the ONT box to my computer.  If I use the G1100 router, it is similar.  On WiFi, I am getting mid to upper 20s download, about 150 upload.  These numbers fluctuate throughout the day.  Sometimes the download (hard wired) can go up to about 200 or 250, and the upload occasionally reaches 800 or 900.  This is a wired connection using a Gigabit card.  I know the card works, because I had FIOS at my previous location and was getting speeds of 800+.

The technicians deny there is a problem.  Both of them claim that 200 or 250 is not bad and that I "won't notice any difference" between that and 1 Gig.  That's not the point.  First off, the download speed rarely reaches 200 or 250; most of the day, it hovers around 40.  Second of all, even if it spikes to 200-250 occasionally, that's still far below what I should be getting.  The phone techs at Verizon tech support agree it is an issue, but their only solution today was to send a third technician here.   Basically, they say the line is achieiving Gigabit speeds, as they can see from "their end."  I have no idea what that means, but it definitely isn't reaching my apartment, so they want to send a third tech.  I'm just sick of waiting at home for techs to come, spend 4 hours here, and ultimately tell me I'm crazy, that I should be happy with what I'm getting.

Any other ideas?   

Thanks,

Brad

0 Likes
Re: Gigabit Internet Only Getting 40 mbps hardwired, techs are stumped
jonjones1
Legend

What they are saying from their servers to your ONT the gigabyte speed is reaching the box. Now from your router to the ONT is the problem. Is what they are saying.

the only wire? Is the twisted pair from your ONT to the WAN port on the VERIZON router. They do not troubleshoot any other routers. 

My guess is the ethernet cable (twisted pair) connection is incorrect, a wire can be crimped, the ethernet cable is faulty, and barring that it could be the nic Card you are using. Yes they do go bad.

you could purchase a new factory made ethernet cable and go out and have the Verizon person plug directly into your ont and see if that works as it should.

if all else fails it’s not been provisioned properly or it’s overloaded with other customers using the gigabyte. Yes like cable internet the system can only handle x number of customers to achieve the proper speed.

0 Likes
peggyjorge

Thanks for the input. I also went into my network properties and made sure my NIC is gigabit capable. It is. I'd be shocked if that was causing it as im using a new motherbaord. I will double check the cables to ensure they're not bent or crimped and run the test again

0 Likes
peggyjorge

Untangled the Ethernet cable going from the router to my pc. The speeds haven't changed. Although, after looking at the cable going from the ONT to the router, maybe thats causing the problem. Here's a pic. Its the white cable. The tech installed white cable wrapped up the way you see it in the picture but since the speeds from the ont to the router seem fine, maybe thats not the problem. Idk. Kinda at a loss here. image

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

From the photo which is upside down I am assuming you also have tv hence the coaxial 

however the ethernet seems to not be plugged into the WAN port but into one of the LAN ports. 4 of them are black, 1 is a different color. (I don’t use the Quantum so it could be yellow or blue or even white)

that is where the ethernet from your ONT is to be set in. Not the lan ports.

after you plug your laptop or desktop into one of the 4 lan ports then run the test again. Hardwired and not via WiFi.

0 Likes
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

It is in the right spot. WAN is white one right above Coax port.  4 Yellows are LAN ports. They wouldn't even be routing if the ONT was plugged into a LAN port. 

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

@Edg1 wrote:

It is in the right spot. WAN is white one right above Coax port.  4 Yellows are LAN ports. They wouldn't even be routing if the ONT was plugged into a LAN port. 

Yeah that photo had me puzzled 😕 

0 Likes
hola22

It may be that your netwok card is trying to auto-negotiate the speed and bouncing between choices. While auto-neg is a good choice, when this happens, the effect is terrible performance since the card and the ONT/Router have to keep changing speeds. Go into your network card hardware settings, and pick a single speed, like 100M or 1Gb full-duplex and see if that helps.

0 Likes