Gigabit Internet Plan Not Available
revisionfour
Enthusiast - Level 2

I'm a small businessman and owner of a technology company and I am trying to get the Gigabit internet plan that Verizon has recently announced that they have. The problem is, I do not believe you can actually get it. I would love for someone on this forum to prove me wrong and explain to me what is going on.

I live in Columbia, MD and after reading about this Gigabit plan through tech sites, I checked online and it said my residence was not available. I currently get 300/300 and have the option of bumping up to 500/500. This was extrememly dissapointing and puzzling to me that I was not an eligable customer because I have fiber directly inside my condo and I have the latest ONT hardware.

After a few weeks of first hearing about this plan and checking online, I went into my local Verizon where they handle Fios and I asked again about my residence. Sure enough, again they said, its not available however it is available in Columbia. I asked, can you give me a date or a rough timeframe when I am eligable for this plan? They said they could not. I asked, where in Columbia is it available? They did not know that information but yet insisted that it was available in Columbia. I asked if they could call me each week and report back to me if I could get Gigabit and they gave me one of the employees numbers and said I could check with that person each week. I waited a month and I called this person and he said, nope, still not available. I then asked, listen, how can we get this done, who do I have to talk with? He then directed me to Verizon's main line and gave me instructions on how to get in touch with engineering.

So I called Verizon, got to where I was suppose to go and started talking to Verizon's person. I said, look, I have a fiber line directly into this place(Its why I got this place), I have the latest ONT hardware, I spoke with the tech here who installed everything about all of this and I asked him, this hardware will allow me to get the fastest plans from Verizon, he said yes, you have the most advanced hardware we install. So I have all the latest hardware, why can't I get Gigabit I ask the guy on the phone. He says he doesn't know and maybe its some hardware somewhere else that needs upgrading. I ask to speak with an engineer who knows this information and they can't do that. I then ask, when am I eligable for the Gigabit plan? He says he does not know that information. I ask to speak with his supervisor, or the highest person he can get me to. He pauses, thinks about it, he puts me on hold. He comes back and says oooohhh I spoke with my supervisor, maybe there is a way to get the Gigabit package, we are putting a ticket in and will get back to you. I ask when. He says well, I mean Im not quite sure but I have never seen this take longer than 2 weeks. I say, ok, I'm putting it on my calendar right now, if I do not hear back about this within 2 weeks, I am pursuing Comcast or other options(I know another provider that can give me a custom hookup). He says ok and the call ends.

It has now been a week since that call and I have no response back. I am willing to wait until the 17th. I have been online and I have not seen 1 posting of an internet speed test from a person who has this plan. I do not believe it exists. I believe this is a marketing scam to get people to believe Verizon is the fastest and most competitive. I believe this because I have seen no visual evidence it exists and the most senior Verizon people that I have been able to get to cannot give me a timeframe or a reason why I can't get the service even with the latest hardware. When you do an install as a business, you have timeframes for customers, Verizon cannot offer this.

Here is what I believe. I believe Verizon is touting the Gigabit plan for people to stay with Verizon and to get this plan in the future, however it will be delivered over 5G and will most likely not be available for another year or longer. The question is why 940/880 speed and not the full Gigabit symmetrical? I believe this is the speed that they know they can get out of the 5G service with their field tests and with the handful of people they supposedly are testing this with. I also ask the question, from a business standpoint, why would you give me a much faster plan and for a cheaper rate? You wouldn't, you already have me as a customer with a lower speed paying more and with the idea that Verizon has even faster packages coming, you can keep me as a customer.

If the Gigabit plan exists, I need to see proof of this(like a screenshot from a speedtest and a testimony from a real person and not a Verizon employee) and I need to be given a timeframe when it will become available for me and why I cannot get it right now. I need to understand the technical reasons or logical reasons for why I am not being told the truth about what is going on. Businesses rely on launching products and services based on assets and abilities. When you tell me I'm getting Gigabit and I plan my business around that and then I cannot get it, you mess up my business. I need to know timeframes to understand when I can do what with my business. If you keep me waiting for a fake plan that doesn't exist and I will never get, you have wasted my time and you have done monetary damages against me because I have already made business plans and purchases based on this information being truthful. Verizon needs to correct this situation and be honest on timeframes or services they actually have.

Not only is this fraud but at this point, it has incurred monetary loses on me and my business.

Thank you,

{edited for privacy}

1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Gigabit Internet Plan may be marketing fraud
jonjones1
Legend
0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

First off you have given out personal information in a public post. Hopefully someone higher can edit it out.

now to your post. The higher speeds are not available everywhere, Verizon is under no obligation to use their money to do any build outs. It has only been lately that Verizon has decided to do a build out. However they don't have to.

and if you think about it, the infrastructure and our own hardware cannot sustain full asymmetrical speeds due to outside factors and device limitations.

1- Fios does not have to give you service.

2- Technology advancements do not mean it will be offered to you.

3- Your constantly complaining to Verizon about wanting gigabyte speeds will not get it faster.

4- Fios speeds are offered at 940/880 and not the 1024/1024 due to congestion, device limitations, and assorted other factors. 

And fios in my area was not available for years. Even though it was available up the street from our home. But we didn't complain about it. We had cable internet broadband at 15/1 and it was fast and reliable. I took the Fios upgrade from 150/150 which was fast and stable. In fact it's more speed than my wife and I could use.

but for $20 more it was a bargain to upgrade to gigabyte.

you have good speed now and there is no reason to get excited that your selections are up to 500/500 in fact the highest speeds offered in most cable locations are 15/1

or 60/2 or 100/2 or 300/5 and it's not asymmetrical. So leave if you must but that would be a mistake. I love Verizon Fios and pay $104 for gigabyte speeds. I cannot complain. I will give you a screen shot to show it is legitimate.

just wait and it may become available to you or pay for 500/500 that is available.

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

(snip most of the post)

(You Wrote)

Businesses rely on launching products and services based on assets and abilities. When you tell me I'm getting Gigabit and I plan my business around that and then I cannot get it, you mess up my business. I need to know timeframes to understand when I can do what with my business. If you keep me waiting for a fake plan that doesn't exist and I will never get, you have wasted my time and you have done monetary damages against me because I have already made business plans and purchases based on this information being truthful. Verizon needs to correct this situation and be honest on timeframes or services they actually have.

Not only is this fraud but at this point, it has incurred monetary loses on me and my business.

(End Quote)

Sorry I forgot to reply to this.

No damages were done to you or your business. Verizon Fios neither via word or verbal communication promised you any type of speed upgrades outside what you see listed. There is personally no reason to buy any equipment on a non promise or in advance of a possible speed upgrade offering. You purchased what? To do what? and whatever it is you may have purchased has no bearing on the download or upload speeds. It is simply a speed upgrade. so you pay for 300/300 and you are using more than enough speed that is necessary. I don't believe you are running a  computer training school with over 100 students that need to use all that bandwidth.

Verizon would never be held responsible for what you believe your speeds shoud be. Or can be in the future. 

Or read your terms of service.

Verizon is supplying you with speed you contracted for. That is all they are required to do. Nothing else.

No one told you to buy anything. You did that on your own accord. There is no loss of business due to a few more gigabytes of speed. 

0 Likes
revisionfour
Enthusiast - Level 2

So you answered exactly 0 questions. All you did was complain about my post and tell me why I did not need gigabit connection speeds. You also told me about your neighborhood and having to wait. I have no problem waiting, however in this case, it is a fictitous internet plan.

Do you run my business? No. Do you know what I do? No. Therefore, do not tell me what internet speed I need.

Regarding what I have spent money on and what my business plans are, once again, you don't need to know this information, just know this is 100% true.

Next, Verizon has made claims that they offer a service which they are not offering. This is FRAUD.

I also do not care that I posted my information. I did that so that the public and Verizon can understand that I'm not trolling and that I'm a real person.

jonjones1
Legend

@revisionfour wrote:

So you answered exactly 0 questions. All you did was complain about my post and tell me why I did not need gigabit connection speeds. You also told me about your neighborhood and having to wait. I have no problem waiting, however in this case, it is a fictitous internet plan.

Do you run my business? No. Do you know what I do? No. Therefore, do not tell me what internet speed I need.

Regarding what I have spent money on and what my business plans are, once again, you don't need to know this information, just know this is 100% true.

Next, Verizon has made claims that they offer a service which they are not offering. This is FRAUD.

I also do not care that I posted my information. I did that so that the public and Verizon can understand that I'm not trolling and that I'm a real person.

Your questions were answered. YOU JUST DON'T LIKE THE ANSWERS!

i showed the screen shot that the service is real. Shot down that claim of yours.

and I told you what any google search can tell you that "Verizon has stopped build outs in many parts of the country" and they have a right to do so since it is their business plan and not yours.

i don't care what your business plans have been in the past or the future. I can say with a certainty that no reputable business is going to go out and expand or expend revenues to meet any imaginary upgrades or products based on "what you believe you may receive" you have no written promise or guarantees from Verizon so any revenues you expend is totally on you, and not Verizon Fios.

since this forum is a peer to peer help site, no one here can tell you for sure that service will or will not be available to your address location.

If you did read the articles on line you would have read where Fios upgrades could be available on one side of the street and not the other, or even next door and not to you.

and many customers have posted speed test results from not only Verizon's servers but from other sites as well. Just because you don't have it yet does not mean as I PROVED VIA SCREEN POST that others have it and are happy with it.

and the reason I mentioned your personal information on your post was to protect you from numerous kook calls and being flooded with spam in your email but of course you don't care about that. I doubt anyone here didn't think you were sincere or not a live person.

0 Likes
revisionfour
Enthusiast - Level 2

I can filter both my phone and email from spam or phishing. I own a cyber security and technology consulting company. I'm fine.

Ok, so you are saying that you posted a screenshot. I do not see that. Can you post again or a link to this screenshot? I am also interested in what area this screenshot is a speed test from.

Also, you say Verizon is not investing in new plans or something. They are investing in more fiber but this fiber is for 5G delivery on the end.

https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2017/04/verizon-spends-1b-on-fiber-but-its-for-5g-wir...

I have been a loyal Verizon customer for over a decade. This is the first time they have really dissapointed me. When they announced higher packages before other than this Gigabit plan, they were able to give me dates at least rough dates when these plans would become available. It is not ethical to tell existing customers that these plans are coming and they truly are not coming or at least not in the way they say they are.

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

@revisionfour wrote:

I can filter both my phone and email from spam or phishing. I own a cyber security and technology consulting company. I'm fine.

Ok, so you are saying that you posted a screenshot. I do not see that. Can you post again or a link to this screenshot? I am also interested in what area this screenshot is a speed test from.

Also, you say Verizon is not investing in new plans or something. They are investing in more fiber but this fiber is for 5G delivery on the end.

https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2017/04/verizon-spends-1b-on-fiber-but-its-for-5g-wir...

I have been a loyal Verizon customer for over a decade. This is the first time they have really dissapointed me. When they announced higher packages before other than this Gigabit plan, they were able to give me dates at least rough dates when these plans would become available. It is not ethical to tell existing customers that these plans are coming and they truly are not coming or at least not in the way they say they are.

I sent the screen shot via private message. As to the rest let's see.

the Verizon gigabyte offering has rocked the competition and most of the online community since no pre-warning occurred. In fact the pricing on their website was showing the 50/50, 100/100, 150/150, 300/300, 500/500 and 750/750 at prices beyond imagination. 

I chose the 150/150 for $83 total a month. Considering we had 15/1 from Time Warner at $40 a month (no taxes or fees are accessed where I live) for $43 more a month for 15 times the speed up and down it was a bargain. Don't get me wrong we could have had it two years back when Fios was expanded in my neighborhood. However my neighbors said the service was fantastic but the prices after two years made them drop the service. I can understand their concerns since most of them like myself are retired.

Then one morning I noticed the gigabyte was available for $20 more a month. Yes on the web Verizon was offering new customers a stand alone price of $69.99 internet with taxes and fees and a double play of internet and tv/phone for $74.99 ( plus taxes and fees and surcharges since only internet in my local has no taxes) cost for new customers with add in fees around $84 a month. The triple play for new customers is $79.99 (with those added taxes and fees and surcharges as well as sports etc fees) total cost around $96 a month.

However existing customers who wanted it had to pay varying rates. Like I said mine around $20 more. Others have found prices ranging up to $195 or more, and many customers that had 150/150 received upgrades to gigabyte for no increase.

the Verizon plan is not uniformly done across its customer base. Many have found a loop hole via cancellation of existing service and signing up as a new customer to get it.

however until you check your online account under "My Service" "Upgrade my service" it may pop up anytime in the app. 

I must say and you know that Verizon has a great broadband service next to none other. If you have it keep it.

oh the standard of 5G is not even approved yet. I have posted on another site that I can change the string on my two tin cans and call it 6G or 5G or for levity "GString" don't put much credence in untested or unproven technology just yet 😀

0 Likes
revisionfour
Enthusiast - Level 2

Ok, Jonjones, I know you are trying to help and I appreciate that and trust me you said you are a retired person and I really appreciate retired people especially those that remain involved in tech.  However, I am going to have to call you out here.

This is a screenshot of the private message you sent me

http://bit.ly/noScreenshot

Now look, I'm sorry, but I need a screenshot with someone who actually has this service. You have admitted yourself that you do not have this service. If you really want to help you need to find me someone who actually has this service and lets get a real screenshot up for everyone to see.

If we as a community cannot find 1 real person that is not a Verizon employee that has this service, I believe it is safe to assume that the allegations that I have made are in fact true. Verizon does not offer a Gigabit plan to residents and has no plans to. It only has plans to deliver Gigabit speeds over 5G. The entire Gigabit marketing is completely fraudulent.

Keep in mind, at this point, they have read and seen my allegations that the Gigabit plan is a myth. We need some proof here that this thing is real. If this cannot be met, I will begin disseminating this info to engadget, tgdaily, lifehacker, ycombinator news and other outlets.

The public must know because we cannot allow ISPs to feed us lies.

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

Sorry to say I cannot understand why you cannot view my screen shot.

i see a space holder where I see the jpg I have attached now twice.

i am going to assume that the Verizon forum it's self has a waiting period for it to be seen.

but I do in fact have the service.

try googling for Gigabyte fios screen shots. You may find them.

i no longer have a web presence so I cannot link to a site to have you view it, sorry.

https://forums.verizon.com/t5/Fios-Internet/Gigabit-Internet-Plan-may-be-marketing-fraud/m-p/839541/...

0 Likes
revisionfour
Enthusiast - Level 2

Ok, I'm going to need you to prove it.

Go to

http://beta.speedtest.net/

Click on GO!

When the test completes, you can click on the chain icon under share result.

Here is a screenshot showing how to do that.

http://bit.ly/pleaseShareYourTest

Please share your link with the forum.

0 Likes