Gigabit connection too slow
MarioV1

Hi. My Gigabit connection seems to be too slow.

I ran the Verizon tests and I get the following:

1) Between Verizon and my home.
Your fios Internet speeds are up to:
Download Speed: 940 Mbps
Upload Speed: 880 Mbps

2) What I receive (connected using Ethernet cable directly to the ONT device):
Download: 321
Upload: 430

I recall a few months ago I was able to get twice that by connecting directly to the ONT device.

My question is, do I need to upgrade my ONT device or is just because there is extra demand lately? Is there something I can do from my end?

Thanks.

0 Likes
Re: Gigabit connection too slow
Rdutkie

I have the same problem. Although when hard wire I am getting a speed of 52.  Through my router I was getting as low as 9. After spending approx 4 hours with Verizon they claim nothing is wrong. 

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

How are you testing?

Are you using a hardwired device and going to speedtest.verizon.net?

That is the only speed Verizon will guarantee.

I have also seen posts where people state that either their NIC is not 1G capable or needs updated drivers to get higher speeds.

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Was your Antivirus enabled while performing the scan? That can impact your test results as Anti-virus often scans inbound and outbound network traffic for malware. This is very processor intensive.

The other part is your browser. Some speed tests are limited by your browser, since some speed tests have to write to your disk as part of testing download speeds. Upload speed testing is also processor intensive, since speed tests are designed to generate data that cannot be compressed, so it gives an accurate result. Try the Ookla speed test app from the Microsoft Store or Apple App Store, as it can help rule out your browser.

Try the Verizon speed test, and if you have a Verizon router like the G1100 or the G3100, make sure it is plugged in first before running your speed test on Verizon's site. Pay attention to what you see for the "Router" Speed test result. This helps to prove whether or not the problem is with your computer, or with your connection as a whole.

Number10Son
Enthusiast - Level 1

Clear your Java Cache, Upgrade your Java Version and try using Internet Explorer vs Firefox.  One of these steps will probably solve your issue.

Been there, Done That !

0 Likes
LawrenceC
Moderator Emeritus

This thread will be locked in order to keep discussions current. If you have the same or a similar question/issue we invite you to start a new thread on the topic.

0 Likes