Re: Gigabit connection very slow
djkchotmixx

I have been  experiencing the same problem , and this as become so frustrating , charged $150 for the upgrade and the spped is less than what it was before. worst part is that the support sucks, I have been routed to some offshore tech which are the worst.  I'm ready to cut my ties with Verizon if they can't get their act together and stop ripping of consumers with these tricks..smh.

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

Try turning the router off count to 20 and plug it back in and let it boot up fully.

the speed test can only be done via a direct ethernet to router from computer to 

https://www.verizon.com/speedtest/

That is the only speed test verizon accepts. WiFi speeds are not accepted on any service. 

0 Likes
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

I agree that the gateway router g1100  has bad wifi. I dont use it. I have my own router. But there is absolutely not reason to have a gig. Most devices that even has s gig card wont get it due to cpu processor speed, anti virus software, ram, etc. You need 25 mbps to stream 4k hd. Downgrade to 100/100 if your device cant handle speed. 

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

@Edg1 wrote:

I agree that the gateway router g1100  has bad wifi. I dont use it. I have my own router. But there is absolutely not reason to have a gig. Most devices that even has s gig card wont get it due to cpu processor speed, anti virus software, ram, etc. You need 25 mbps to stream 4k hd. Downgrade to 100/100 if your device cant handle speed. 

It’s true that as I said below the lower speeds are just as good or are what most people need. However in selecting speeds especially from Verizon the cost of 75/75 and 100/100 were around $80-$90 dollars. 

Then verizon offered gigabyte speed for $70 which was cheaper than both speeds listed above. Money wise if you can get more for less you would be foolish not to take it. Even if for a two year period. 

Speeds under a 100/100 or at 100/100 are coaxial and not the faster ethernet, in fact Verizon replaces the older ONT’s with the above 100/100 speed. So it’s a win for the customers.

0 Likes
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

True I agree if you get the gig cheaper than take it. But at end if term that gig will sky rocket. Plus the gig is not really to say hey I am or am not getting a gig on a certain device. Its to provide bandwidth for everyone in the home. 

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

@Edg1 wrote:

True I agree if you get the gig cheaper than take it. But at end if term that gig will sky rocket. Plus the gig is not really to say hey I am or am not getting a gig on a certain device. Its to provide bandwidth for everyone in the home. 

Exactly true in regards to number of devices that do not get a full gigabyte as I stated in other threads. No device will achieve or sustain that speed in a home setting.

totally impossible.

the gigabyte speeds even if they raise it say to $100, $112, $138 after discounts fall off is still far cheaper than the old 500,700 Etc speed offerings.

in my cable days on 15/1 my wife and I had 24 devices running without issue. We have the same 24 devices on gigabyte service again with no issue. But downloading files is much faster. I use to wait sometimes overnight on cable internet for files to download from my office to my home. And I used programs that made it faster. Go figure.

also remember they didn’t have usb drives with high capacity. It was diskettes or the advent of the 120 Zip drive. (I still have it with the old disks) 

so so we are advancing.

0 Likes
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Of course it is faster but people have very unreal expectations about wifi and gig connections. I would say nine times out of ten the persons device is getting the speed it can get. They just complain because they think they are no getting something they pay for when actually they are but their device is just not capable. 

jonjones1
Legend

@Edg1 wrote:

Of course it is faster but people have very unreal expectations about wifi and gig connections. I would say nine times out of ten the persons device is getting the speed it can get. They just complain because they think they are no getting something they pay for when actually they are but their device is just not capable. 

I agree....

0 Likes
dewey_145

Unfortunately the only solution to these problems is purchasing a better router. Somehow there isn't more videos on YouTube or forums talking about this. The gateway router they use is terrible. My friend and I had the same issues described in these forums.

I was paying for 150/150 speeds. (Which I consistently got. NO ISSUES) I upgraded to the gigabit speed and my speed plummeted to 50/50 on a good day. (Over 2.4Ghz) 5G was significantly better (200/200) but of course, at the expense of distance. 5G doesn't travel as far. So after wasting my time with Verizon Tech Support, I went out and purchased the Netgear Nighthawk. Haven't had any issues since. I now get roughly 600/600 hard wired Cat6 and 250/250 WiFi.

Now i'll finish with this.. 

Yes, it sounds crazy that you'll have to go out and purchase this but three things are worth noting: 

1:) Don't go crazy. If you live in an average size house, get a less expensive one. 

2:) You no longer have to pay to rent theirs. $10 or $12 a month off of your monthly bill. 

3:) The caveat to this is that Verizon DOES NOT warranty or troubleshoot ANY router that isn't theirs.

0 Likes
ep2003

Same exact thing happened to me, their test is fake and it’s the ONLY test that gets to those speeds. The highest I ever got was 700 on Ethernet and never get that anymore.

0 Likes