Re: Gigabit uploads but slow downloads
Steve_M2

I have the same issue exactly, and have been fighting to get an intelligent response from Verizon since the gigabit service was installed.  

I have gotten results similar to the screenshot below on 4 Windows 10 computers, and with 3 different Verizon modems.  The Verizon techs all started out by blaming the computers I have.  Then, after being satisfied that my laptops are acceptable, they fell back on a common excuse every single time:  "All we're responsible for is the speed coming IN to the router.  What comes OUT is your problem."

This is my latest speed test, wired with Cat 5e to my Verizon modem/router: 

0 Likes
Fios Gigabit Connection (Low Download Speed, High Upload Speed)
Yah1234

Hello everyone,

I just recently got upgraded to Verizon Fios Gigabit Connection, with speeds that were up to 940/880 Mbps. 

I had done the Router Speed Test and the Device Speed Test from the Verizon website along with Speedtest.net. The upload speed is perfect, but my download speed is still the same from when I had my 150/150 plan. Below are screenshots of my tests:

I was wondering if anyone else has been experiencing this issue? If so, has it been resolved for you?

0 Likes
Re: Fios Gigabit Connection (Low Download Speed, High Upload Speed)
NewYorkSteelo
Enthusiast - Level 1

I had the exact same issue and even posted about it on this very forum a few posts back.

I decided to call verizon customer support. They had me do some troubleshooting  steps on the router. This fixed the problem and I am now consistently seeing speeds above 900mbs on both the downloads and uploads.

Note: For those of you reading these posts and experiencing similar issues, call customer support. They should help you troubleshoot and fix the download speeds. 

Good luck and enjoy 🙂

RazTap

Same issues.  I am in the Bensalem area.  I have Cat-6 in my home and I even tried connecting directly to the modem, same results.  I have a tech coming out to my home later today but they did verify that my computer and area are properly supported.

ONE ITEM:  What testing tool are you using?  I am starting the question the validity of the FIOS Speedtest tool.  For instance, when you run it, the download numbers look pretty good, get as high as 650...however, the results report only shows 230.  The Upload looks fine.  I started to wonder if the existing version of the tool cannot report such high line rates.

I have tried several other free online tools.  All of them give different results.  Not sure which to believe

0 Likes
RazTap

Try a different free online tool and see if you get different, more consistent results.  I did.  I question how well the current version of the speed test tool reports results.  If you watch the tool run, you see downloads that are very high, but not accurately reported at the end.

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

@RazTap wrote:

Same issues.  I am in the Bensalem area.  I have Cat-6 in my home and I even tried connecting directly to the modem, same results.  I have a tech coming out to my home later today but they did verify that my computer and area are properly supported.

ONE ITEM:  What testing tool are you using?  I am starting the question the validity of the FIOS Speedtest tool.  For instance, when you run it, the download numbers look pretty good, get as high as 650...however, the results report only shows 230.  The Upload looks fine.  I started to wonder if the existing version of the tool cannot report such high line rates.

I have tried several other free online tools.  All of them give different results.  Not sure which to believe

This is from Verizon's speed test server. However this is a closed proprietary network. It is not the physical so called out to the internet. When you do any speed tests or even internet browsing from outside Verizon's proprietary network you may see much lower speeds or see real congestion to certain or all sites. 

verizon does not use modems. Routers only.

Stagent
Enthusiast - Level 2

Same issue here....Im a new Gigabit customer. Ive been on the phone with verizon for 3 days and had another tech, other than the installer, come out to the house to try to fix the issue. Im getting 750 down/ 880 up. When doing the speed test to the device (wired, to my PC), it says at the bottom when the speed test is done that my current plan is 750/750. My account says 940/880. When you do the speed test to the router from verizons end, its always says 940/880.  So todays tech came and said "youre getting gigabit to the router. After that its not our problem. Its your machine,". Which its not..this PC is barely 2 years old and my ethernet adapter is capable of gigabit. Last night, over WIFI on the PS4, i was getting speeds in the Kbps range and couldnt stream a thing, and the router an PS4 are less than 10 feet from one another. I mentioined this to the tech, who didnt say a word. No offer to replace the router...not a thing. Only that he wasnt there to argue with me and its not their problem...its my PC. Theres no reason why my upload should be that much faster than my download. A nd theres no reason why they keep telling me Im provisioned for 750/750 when Im a new gigabit customer. Im starting to regret my decision to dump Optimum. At least with Optimum, I was getting what i was paying for.

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

As with most things if your speed is 940/880 from Verizon's servers to your router, that is all Verizon goes by. A test from their proprietary network to the home is not the same as when you use the provided speeds to access the real net (as I like to say).

accessing the net from outside Verizon's network server has many things to slow your speeds down. Congestion being one of them. Downed hops and nodes to get to sites etc. so technically you are getting what Fios states as "up to" 

now the speeds of the devices internally to your router will never reach the Verizon test site speeds. In this case Verizon Fios is not responsible for connections within your home.

you state you should rethink Optium Online well they cannot even give 1/3 the speeds that are available with Verizon Fios but if you feel that it was not worth your money then I would go back to where you are the happiest. Nothing wrong in that.

personally I don't get the highest speed all the time, and with devices connecting to the router my speeds hover around 450/380 but that is still faster than what cable had all the years we used it. 15/1 and it was fast so just remember customers really should not complain when cable offered such low broadband speeds. In most places it is 60/2 or 100/2 or 300/6 which is the top speeds for cable internet.

rvjjr1964
Enthusiast - Level 2

imageFrom speed test.netimageFrom fios website

Greetings, I just upgraded a few days ago and this is what I am receiving through multiple speed test sites. I see a lot of users getting over 900 uploads and 150 downloads. Has anyone contacted Verizon and had their issue fixed. I have a gigabyte network card, wired, not wireless, fios gateway router. Antivirus disabled. Have been in the IT field for 35 years including network so I do have some knowledge about transmissions and I know that i am on a shared line with my neighbors running windows 7 64 bit version. Any help would be greatly be appreciated.  Thanks in advance.  Randy

0 Likes
jpuglin
Enthusiast - Level 2

Rvjjr,

Good day. Do not drive yourself crazy. You are going to get erratic results unless you use Verizon Broadband Test Website. Verizon is using UDP (cheap) instead of TCP. IMHO, it's not a true gig connection. UDP is not a guarantee packet delivery. QoS is horrible. I am running some network tools from SolarWinds and there is a lot of packet loss. 

0 Likes