Re: Gigabit uploads but slow downloads
jonjones1
Legend

You did read my post beneath yours? If not read it again.

wifi will be half or less on speedtest sites.

ookla normally when I am direct connected via ethernet to my router gets 800/700

and using Verizon's proprietary speedtest site around 940/880 which they advertise as their gigabyte speed (1024/1024 is gigabyte speed but no device can achieve that sustained thorough put ) but the ookla sites first cannot handle gigabyte testing as of yet so that is not really accurate. Secondly if you believe there is a speed issue not via wifi call 1-800-VERIZON and have them test and or have engineering provision you properly. 

I would not use ookla but this site here.https://www.verizon.com/SpeedTest/instantinternet.aspx

Good Luck

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Has nothing to do with being cheap.

Verizon (like most other providers) only guarantees access speed.

By using their site, they can ensure you are only testing your access and not other Internet connections.

If you are using a wired connection and seeing packet drops, then you should contact Verizon and report issue.

I assume a ping to default gateway (router to PC) does not see drops (ensures good cable and pc port).

Can also try to ping from router to its default gateway to see if you see any drops.

Re: Fios Gigabit Connection (Low Download Speed, High Upload Speed)
cnsf
Enthusiast - Level 2

What were the troubleshooting steps you used to fix it?

0 Likes
minorthr

I'm having the same issues we are in Pottstown Pa area.  Upgraded to gig back in november.  From the beginning I wasnt getting anywhere near gig even wired. I even tried the quantum roiuter they sent and it wasnt getting above 250- 300.  I took my routers out of the mix and connected directly to the ONT with my Mac and was then getting the promissed speeds so I figured the routers were having over head issues with QOS etc turned on and figured I would just get a better router after the holidays.  

Then the second week of december we started having issues with netflix, youtubetv and sling buffering or dropping out of HD and going to lower quality.  I tested the speeds and instead of the 250-300s I was now getting 50-150 down and 400 up wireless.  Even with a PC plugged directly into the ont I was getting 150 down and 800 up.  Ive tried multiple PCs Macs and ethernet adapters all with the same results.  

I spent 2 hours on the phone with tech support tonight they just kept repeating over and over how it must be something inside.  If Im not getting the speeds at the ONT its not inside.  we tried multiple PCs and Macs all the same results.  I stil have their router hook it up and wired same deal, however their "router speed test" claims everything is fine.  clearly it isnt.  I dont expect to get 900/800 all the time but with one wired devices conected to the router and nothing else even wireless devices connected I should be able to get at least 500-700 pretty consistently. 150 isnt even close.  SInce my previous service was 150 it seems like something isnt right in the provisioning but the tech says evverything is fine.  If they dont get it resolved Im going to just drop my service back to 150.  

0 Likes
kh-gary
Moderator Emeritus

Hi minorthr,

Your issue has been escalated to a Verizon agent. Before the agent can begin assisting you, they will need to collect further information from you. Please go to your profile page for the forum and scroll down the page to an area titled "My Support Cases." You can reach your profile page by clicking on your name located above your post, or at the top right of this page.

Under "My Support Cases" you will find a link to the private board where you and the agent may exchange information. The title of your post is the link. This should be checked on a frequent basis, as the agent may be waiting for information from you before they can proceed with any actions. To ensure you know when they have responded to you, you may subscribe to the case. At the top right of your support case there is a gear icon which provides a drop down menu with support case options. Click that and choose "subscribe." Please keep all correspondence regarding your issue in the private support portal.

0 Likes
jpuglin
Enthusiast - Level 2

Honestly, the Verizon GiG Service stinks. I still have issues. I am not getting the bandwidth they promise. The only reason they tell you to use their site is because it uses UDP vs TCP. UDP is garbage and uses less overhead and is not as reliable. I was stupid to sign up 2 years with Verizon. Not very happy with them. 

A friend of mine has AT&T GIG Service in Dallas and it cooks. Every test consistently is > 900/900. Very reliable and fast and QoS is there. 

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

@jpuglin wrote:

Honestly, the Verizon GiG Service stinks. I still have issues. I am not getting the bandwidth they promise. The only reason they tell you to use their site is because it uses UDP vs TCP. UDP is garbage and uses less overhead and is not as reliable. I was stupid to sign up 2 years with Verizon. Not very happy with them. 

A friend of mine has AT&T GIG Service in Dallas and it cooks. Every test consistently is > 900/900. Very reliable and fast and QoS is there. 

You know you have to look at the cost to you in money. If you have early termination fees say of $300 well it cheaper to pay that than the cost of two years of grief. So say your monthly cost is $100 so $1,200.00 per year of $2,400.00 for two years. So you go to AT&T that rocks (your word) so Verizon loses a customer. 

Now you go to AT&T and you find at your house it doesn’t rock. What then?

it all comes down to what you feel is good value for the price.

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Verizon's speed test uses TCP...

Using UDP for a speed test, unless it's using Google's QUIC protocol, would be insane. Yes it's possible provided safeguards are in place to prevent flooding and denial of service. But that also doesn't rule out issues which will occur if a user is dealing with a broken router, for example. Ubiquiti's EdgeRouter / UniFi Security Gateways currently choke beyond 10Mbps of UDP traffic, developing packet ordering issues.

0 Likes
jpuglin
Enthusiast - Level 2

Sorry, it’s UDP based on their say so and tech group. That’s what I have been told. 

0 Likes
jpuglin
Enthusiast - Level 2

Oh, I totally agree. I would run parallel for a month or 2 before I make a decision to move to another provider. 

0 Likes