Re: Gigabit uploads but slow downloads
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

I'm on Verizon FiOS right now instead of testing from my Cable connection. It's still TCP according to a packet analyzer...

Whoever said it's UDP isn't aware of how it's designed architecturally. The router test is also TCP.

If the test were using UDP, Wireshark would show this...

0 Likes
slav22

THere are 2 speed tests on verizons site.  the first of which you need to run is UDP.  it only let you run the second TCP test after the UDP test.  

Im having the same issue. had 3 techs out to the house.  each one says its a switch issue back at verizon.  Evey network engineer i talk to tells me is an issue on my end. and a tech needs so come out. had my ONT replaced,  my router relplaced,  But in the end ethernet coming out of the ONT directly to a gigabit ehternt laptop port is the same about 250/350.

IF I ever figure it out, and im losing hope, il let you know

0 Likes
jpuglin
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thank you. Same here. I am losing hope too. I don’t want to go with cable because the bandwidth is not there. Get this...  if I want to switch to 300/300 it costs more than the gig service. Verizon knows they have issues and play stupid well. Joe

slav22

Well I escalated to a Tech manger today.  All he said he could do was send out another guy to check my stuff.  Im startign to wonder if it is an ONT modem limitation.

He acknowlaged that the UDP and TCP tests were what they were.  And agreed that TCP is really all that matters.  

Itjust relly frustrating because the tech is just goign to say the same thing the last one did.  All they can do is measure the speed and say yep, its slow.  I gotta put a ticket into the network folks.  I am really starting to feel like this is a ploy to wear me down.  Pretty soon il just have a verizon tech living at my house.

Id be interested in the specs of the ONT box.  Anyone able to find those?  Is there a way i can check the configuations of the ONT myself?

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

The ONTs have a management interface, but that can only be accessed by the FSC. If you share the model of the ONT, or search it up on the Internet, there should be a whitepaper with the specs of the hardware.

Every ONT that Verizon uses for Gigabit service supports at least GPON. Which shares 2.4Gbps down, 1.2Gbps up with up to 32 homes per fiber split. Any ONT can use up that bandwidth similar to a Cable system - as such more than two Gigabit customers running maxed out (A difficult thing to sustain for a long time) will cause saturation once the third Gigabit customer tries to use all of their connection. I'm not sure if Verizon has started using newer tech than GPON in the public. I've only heard of trials of 10Gbps+ in Verizon's labs.

HomeBrewJoe
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hello all.  I have recently upgraded to the Gigabit connection and my overall impression is that you could use 300/300 Mbps plan and have the same performance.

Any wireless device using 5G (802.11AC) is at max going to see about 300/300 Mbps.  Xbox, PS4 is going to see maybe 350-450 Mbps.  The PSNetwork and Live network limit you even if your speed is excellent.

As for ethernet connection to PC.  This is completely sporadic.  Ive seen locked at 100 Mbps to sometime 450-650 Mbps depending on what "duplex" my ethernet adapter switches too.  I've fixed it to 1Gbps Full duplex and had at time the ethernet adapter disable itself and switch to wifi and the speeds were sporadic.  Its back on automatic setting now but it basically holds it at 100 Mbps which was the plan I was coming from.  If anyone knows any PC settings I can do to fix the sporadic and random internet speeds please reply.  

The PC in question has the following components:
-ROG Maximus Formula VI motherboard (gigabit capable - integrated bluetooth and wifi card)
-Intel i5-4670K

-16Gb DDR3 RAM (1633 mhz)

-using Cat5e ethernet run from the gateway to the PC.  It was ran to a wall outlet so the line was cut there but I am seeing gigabit speeds using the Verizon Fios speed test.  Just not on external free speed tests.  Device test changes with the Duplex setting.

Now note.  They no longer have the 300/300 Mbps service in my area and I hear the services will be 50/50, 150/150, then gigabit service in the future.  With the fact the gigabit is actually faster then the 150/150 service most of the time.  The price point matches.  This sounds like a bandaid to their previous gigabit customers.  I am paying $10 less a month with gigabit service over the 100/100 Mbps service I had before.  Imagine that.

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

If your Ethernet link is bouncing between 100Mbps Full Duplex and 1Gbps Full Duplex, consider changing your CAT5e / Ethernet cable. This is usually the sign of a bad cable or one which is operating out of spec. Make sure the connections are fully locked in at both the router and on your PC.  If your computer has options for Energy Efficient Ethernet in the Device Manager's Ethernet properties, disable those as well.

0 Likes