Re: Going from DSL to FiOS
nabizat
Does this mean that I could of had Fios installed to run through the phone jack I used for my previous verizon DSL connection? My Fios was installed in my basement, where my computer cannot reach it and I can barely connect to it; it's giving me alot of problems.
0 Likes
Dg11
YES... Think twice
0 Likes
Brennoko
Contributor - Level 1
No, as stated previously the internet connection runs either on coax (RG6) or ethernet (Cat5E) cable. It does not run on telephone wire, so you would not have been able to use the same phone jack that you were using for DSL.
0 Likes
larryw9999
Contributor - Level 1

DSL is a lower bandwidth connection that runs over copper wires. FiOS (Fiber Optic Service) runs over glass fiber cables which provides a much higher bandwidth, faster internet speeds and the ability to send very high quality video. So no, you could not have FiOS running to an existing phone jack.

As to FiOS being installed in your basement, it is very important when a new customer gets FiOS installed, they explain the the Vz Tech where in their home they need to get service. If all of your computers are upstairs, it makes no sense to install your router in the basement.

How recently was your FiOs installed?

0 Likes
prisaz
Legend
Do as CharlesH said, and remind them to move your Email to the FIOS account. I would not cancel the DSL until the FIOS install is completed, and Verizon should do that after the install. My conversion was flawless in 2005. I have heard that MSN is no longer offered, so if you switch to something else, I do not think you can go back. I still have my MSN account from my Verizon High Speed DSL Internet service.  Calling it high speed seems rather silly when compaired to fiber.
0 Likes
travism

I had to change my name.

I never had or wanted MSN.  I just use Verizon as my connection to the internet.

I heard a lot of complaints in the 0.verizon newsgroups about people switching from DSL to FiOS and Verizon would manage to screw up the peoples email accounts and then refuse to give them back to the people.

I plan on keeping DSL and Comcast until I am satisfied that FiOS is operating up to my expectations.

0 Likes
travism

The FiOS installer could have run CAT 5 or 6 cable to the mans jack that carried his DSL tones, replaced the female connector with a female ethernet one.

I guess we customers have to supervise the installers.

0 Likes
Brennoko
Contributor - Level 1

prisaz wrote:

Calling it high speed seems rather silly when compaired to fiber.

Agreed. I think the name was changed by the marketing department, only way it would make any sense why they call DSL 'High Speed Internet'.

travism wrote:

The FiOS installer could have run CAT 5 or 6 cable to the mans jack that carried his DSL tones, replaced the female connector with a female ethernet one.

I guess we customers have to supervise the installers.

No, you just have to tell the installer where you want the router when the service gets installed. If that is not mentioned they will put it were it is easiest. If they know where it is wanted, they will do the needed wiring to get it there. Also, they wouldn't replace the phone jack, just add an ethernet jack next to it.