Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Have a phone you love? Get up to $500 when you bring your phone.

Going from DSL to FiOS

nabizat
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Going from DSL to FiOS

Message 11 of 18
(6,375 Views)
Does this mean that I could of had Fios installed to run through the phone jack I used for my previous verizon DSL connection? My Fios was installed in my basement, where my computer cannot reach it and I can barely connect to it; it's giving me alot of problems.
Dg11
Contributor
Contributor

Message 12 of 18
(6,350 Views)
YES... Think twice
Brennoko
Employee Emeritus Employee Emeritus
Employee Emeritus

Message 13 of 18
(6,291 Views)
No, as stated previously the internet connection runs either on coax (RG6) or ethernet (Cat5E) cable. It does not run on telephone wire, so you would not have been able to use the same phone jack that you were using for DSL.

Brennoko
Verizon Telecom
Fiber Solutions Center

Notice: Content posted by Verizon employees is meant to be informational and does not supercede or change the Verizon Forums User Guidelines or Terms or Service, or your Customer Agreement Terms and Conditions or Plan.

larryw9999
Bronze Contributor I
Bronze Contributor I

Message 14 of 18
(6,276 Views)

DSL is a lower bandwidth connection that runs over copper wires. FiOS (Fiber Optic Service) runs over glass fiber cables which provides a much higher bandwidth, faster internet speeds and the ability to send very high quality video. So no, you could not have FiOS running to an existing phone jack.

As to FiOS being installed in your basement, it is very important when a new customer gets FiOS installed, they explain the the Vz Tech where in their home they need to get service. If all of your computers are upstairs, it makes no sense to install your router in the basement.

How recently was your FiOs installed?

Larry
Verizon Telecom
Vz Voice Portals & Connection Wizard

Notice: Content posted by Verizon employees is meant to be informational and does not supercede or change the Verizon Forums User Guidelines or Terms or Service, or your Customer Agreement Terms and Conditions or Plan.

prisaz
Platinum Contributor III
Platinum Contributor III

Message 15 of 18
(6,230 Views)
Do as CharlesH said, and remind them to move your Email to the FIOS account. I would not cancel the DSL until the FIOS install is completed, and Verizon should do that after the install. My conversion was flawless in 2005. I have heard that MSN is no longer offered, so if you switch to something else, I do not think you can go back. I still have my MSN account from my Verizon High Speed DSL Internet service.  Calling it high speed seems rather silly when compaired to fiber.
travism
Contributor
Contributor

Message 16 of 18
(6,225 Views)

I had to change my name.

I never had or wanted MSN.  I just use Verizon as my connection to the internet.

I heard a lot of complaints in the 0.verizon newsgroups about people switching from DSL to FiOS and Verizon would manage to screw up the peoples email accounts and then refuse to give them back to the people.

I plan on keeping DSL and Comcast until I am satisfied that FiOS is operating up to my expectations.

travism
Contributor
Contributor

Message 17 of 18
(6,221 Views)

The FiOS installer could have run CAT 5 or 6 cable to the mans jack that carried his DSL tones, replaced the female connector with a female ethernet one.

I guess we customers have to supervise the installers.

Brennoko
Employee Emeritus Employee Emeritus
Employee Emeritus

Message 18 of 18
(6,213 Views)

prisaz wrote:

Calling it high speed seems rather silly when compaired to fiber.

Agreed. I think the name was changed by the marketing department, only way it would make any sense why they call DSL 'High Speed Internet'.

travism wrote:

The FiOS installer could have run CAT 5 or 6 cable to the mans jack that carried his DSL tones, replaced the female connector with a female ethernet one.

I guess we customers have to supervise the installers.

No, you just have to tell the installer where you want the router when the service gets installed. If that is not mentioned they will put it were it is easiest. If they know where it is wanted, they will do the needed wiring to get it there. Also, they wouldn't replace the phone jack, just add an ethernet jack next to it.

Brennoko
Verizon Telecom
Fiber Solutions Center

How-To Videos

The following videos were produced by users like you!

Videos are subject to the Verizon Fios Community Terms of Service and User Guidelines and contains content that is not created by Verizon.
Have a spare Fios-G1100?Learn how to bridge it into your network
Get Started

Covid19

Browse Categories
Categories:
Verizon Troubleshooters
Unable to find your answer here? Try searching Verizon Troubleshooters for more options.
Modal Dialogue Title