Going to trash VISS if no solution
RobertSlaven
Enthusiast - Level 2

I am SO SICK of wondering why my computer is so slow, then turning on Task Manager, finding out that my CPU is pegged at 100%, and finding out that the processes using the most CPU% are McSvHost.exe, mfefire.exe, mfp.exe, mcagent.exe, mcshield.exe, and so on.  I've searched all over these forums and elsewhere for answers, tried many different things, and nothing seems to help.

So does anyone have any solutions?  Or am I going to just cancel VISS and replace it with some freeware protection (of which I know there's a lot of good solutions out there)?

For reference, I've got a laptop running Windows Vista Home Premium Service Pack 2 (Microsoft Windows [Version 6.0.6002]), an AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual-core processor TK-57 running at 1.90 GHz, and 3 GB of RAM.

Robert

Re: Going to trash VISS if no solution
Techman28
Master - Level 1

if your at constant 100% cpu usage it wouldn't just be VISS causing the issue it would have to be something else causing the issue. It sound's like the software was running a scan or updating in the back ground which would increase your Processes

RobertSlaven
Enthusiast - Level 2

Well, that's the weird thing.  When I open the VISS control panel, it doesn't say it's scanning anything.  And I even disabled real-time scanning.  So I'd have Chrome open, and it'd be running maybe 10% of CPU, and then all the various MC*.exe McAfee processes would total about 90% of CPU.  It's insane.

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Sounds pretty typical for McAfee's Anti-virus products. Wish they'd improve the engines on their software a bit more. They were decent and light in the early 90s but now just pig resources and don't catch much. Now that McAfee's owned by Intel I would imagine them to improve.

Try checking through the VISS settings for anything that might be causing the software to scan all files all the time. It might be trying to do that instead of scanning a pre-defined and known "untrusty" extensions. Short of that, uninstall VISS, run the McAfee Removal tool, and re-install. Only advice I can give.

0 Likes
hracer
Contributor - Level 2

If the computer is showing 100% utilization and nothing is open or the computer is getting used, then there is something wrong. I would start my isolation with unplugging the computer from the internet(ethernet cable removed or wireless disabled). Does it clear after this(give it a few mins to slow down)? If not, then next I would uninstall the VISS(still keeping the computer disconnected from the internet). Does it clear after this? If not, then it is some other software application that is not caused by VISS. Reconnect the computer back to the internet and reinstall VISS. Have a computer expert check the computer out. There is a possible VIRUS also which then would need to be addressed by Mcafee. Good luck

weedeater1
Contributor - Level 3

To me, 3Gig is a little light. I would find out what the maximum memory the laptop can hold and go get it.