Good summary of the current state of cable TV in the US
bbinnard
Contributor - Level 3

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-hiltzik-20130823,0,2277460.column

The message I got from this:  elections have consequences; if you want real leadership, vote for leaders.

0 Likes
Re: Good summary of the current state of cable TV in the US
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

I was a bit worried when I first started reading the article when they mentioned this line: "...but they commonly throttle data speeds after you use as little as 2 gigabits in a month. That's not enough to view a single high-definition feature film from Netflix."

As crummy as Time Warner tends to be in my neighborhood, I've not seen them throttle services like Netflix. The article does pain the sad reality much of the US will have to put up with for the future. I know several folks who live in Asia, and most are rocking a minimum of 300Mbps download, 100Mbps upload for $50USD or less. One of them gets Gigabit to the home for less than $50. The folks I know in Europe, tend to pay less for more bandwidth, but mention there are fiber initiatives in their area to further improve networks.

The news I hear in my area? FiOS may continue expanding, but there has to be a surge in uptake (>75%), you must have an agreement already in place with the town/city, and your CO must already be equipped with FiOS. If none of these apply, you get copper with Wireless as a foreseeable replacement in the near future. Then you have your cable company...

0 Likes