Google Drive blocked (Google Tech confirmed) and support unable to help
iroquoispower
Enthusiast - Level 2

Ok, I'm going to give Verizon the benefit of the doubt that this is just a fluke, and that they didn't mean to try to force me to sign up for a $15/month service for an ISP specific issue.  Here's what's happened so far.

1. 3 hours on tech support with Google Apps for business to find out what is wrong with Google Drive,  unable to connect and intermittent service.  Their technicians traced it back to the ISP since this has been going on a lot lately with ONLY Verizon Fios service.  Here is their email: 

{removed to comply with forum guidelines}

2. Called Verizon and the technician said there was nothing they could do other than a traceroute, but didn't know how to execute that action.

3. Called Google Support and 3-way called Verizon support to have everyone on the line.  The first technician said he couldn't help and sent us to a sales line.  The Verizon tech said that he had to add $15/month for tech service to remote into my laptop to troubleshoot.  I refused and ended the conversation.

During the call I was able to get the command from google to run: tracert talk.google.com.  Here are the results:  

1 <1 ms <1 ms <1 ms FIOS_Quantum_Gateway.fios-router.home [-removed-for-privacy-]
2 12 ms 7 ms 8 ms L100.TAMPFL-VFTTP-96.verizon-gni.net [72.64.157.1]
3 17 ms 13 ms 16 ms G101-0-0-10.TAMPFL-LCR-21.verizon-gni.net [100.41.219.90]
4 * * * Request timed out.
5 18 ms 21 ms 19 ms 0.ae9.GW1.MIA19.ALTER.NET [140.222.231.81]
6 20 ms 26 ms 20 ms google-gw.customer.alter.net [63.65.188.38]
7 24 ms 25 ms 25 ms 209.85.253.116
8 32 ms 40 ms 37 ms 209.85.252.96
9 35 ms 33 ms 32 ms 64.233.175.12
10 * * * Request timed out.
11 33 ms 32 ms 33 ms 74.125.21.125

0 Likes
Re: Google Drive blocked (Google Tech confirmed) and support unable to help
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Just so I know, what are the variance in file sizes that you're trying to upload which are seeing these problems?

Do you have any sort of Parental Controls, Firewalls, or other sort of filtering enabled on the G1100 Router from Verizon? If yes, please turn them off temporarily.

Have you tried dropping the MTU from 1500, which should be working fine, to something like 1492 or 1472, to see if this is a problem with the packets being too big for the path due to a problem?

Finally, if you have an Ethernet connection between your ONT and your router, could you try ruling out the router by connecting your PC, or another router directly into the ONT? You may have to DHCP Release the IP address from the router so that your computer/other router may pull an IP Address. The same goes with swapping the G1100 router back in - you will need to DHCP Release on your computer/other router. Alternatively, call Verizon for help with this, or just wait two hours for the least to expire for each step.

iroquoispower
Enthusiast - Level 2

Just so I know, what are the variance in file sizes that you're trying to upload which are seeing these problems?

File sizes rand from ~1mb to 100mb+, doesn't seem to matter what size.

Do you have any sort of Parental Controls, Firewalls, or other sort of filtering enabled on the G1100 Router from Verizon? If yes, please turn them off temporarily.

It's set to default, so what ever those settings are.

Have you tried dropping the MTU from 1500, which should be working fine, to something like 1492 or 1472, to see if this is a problem with the packets being too big for the path due to a problem?

I don't know what that means or how to do that...

Finally, if you have an Ethernet connection between your ONT and your router, could you try ruling out the router by connecting your PC, or another router directly into the ONT? You may have to DHCP Release the IP address from the router so that your computer/other router may pull an IP Address. The same goes with swapping the G1100 router back in - you will need to DHCP Release on your computer/other router. Alternatively, call Verizon for help with this, or just wait two hours for the least to expire for each step.

I went ahead and connected directly to the router and disconnected from the wireless.  Did an IP release and still recieved the same timeouts.  Verizon doesn't help customers with issues like this unless I up my bill, supposedly.  Any more suggestions?

0 Likes
iroquoispower
Enthusiast - Level 2

Also, I just used my AT&T Galaxy S3 hotspot to connect my laptop to, and it worked perfectly.  It synced the unsyncable files in Google Drive.

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

On Windows for the MTU, please try this.

Go to Start > use the Search box to search for the program called cmd.exe.

Right click on cmd.exe in the search results

Select "Run as Administrator"

Then type the following commands, and then hit Enter.

If you are Wired:

netsh int ip set subinterface "Local Area Connection" mtu=1492 store=persist

If you are Wireless:

netsh int ip set subinterface "Wireless Network Connection" mtu=1492 store=persist

Change the numeric value for MTU to one of the two values I provided in my previous post. See if this help with your file uploads. To revert this change, simply enter...

netsh int ip set subinterface "Wireless Network Connection" mtu=1500 store=persist

=================

If you use a Mac...

Open System Preferences.

Select "Network." Click on the Network Adapter that you use for your Internet connection. Usually Ethernet or Wi-Fi/Airport.

Click on the Advanced button for your network adapter

Click on the Hardware Tab

Change the MTU drop-down from Automatic to Manual

Set the MTU to 1492 or 1472.

Click OK. 

Click Apply.

To revert, visit the same place and set the MTU back to automatic.

Additionally, please check to see if you are having problems uploading files to other services, besides Google. Testmy.net's speed test will help test this, by testing up to 100MB files using plain old HTTP. http://www.testmy.net/upload . Select the size manually to 100MB. You can pick your server using the links at the top right side of the page where it says "Multi" or "Servers."

Or, DSLReports's speed test can let you speed test to Google's servers, which will help simulate a file upload to Google's Cloud Computing services (Separate from Drive but share the same general network). Click the Gear/cog icon next to where you see different Internet connection types, and then choose the three Google servers (One is in Iowa, another is in Europe, and another is in Taiwan). This test if you pick all three, will upload test against all three servers and can report statistics on the transfer, if you share your result with us.

http://www.dslreports.com/speedtest

iroquoispower
Enthusiast - Level 2

If you are Wireless:

netsh int ip set subinterface "Wireless Network Connection" mtu=1492 store=persist

C:\windows\system32>netsh int ip set subinterface "Wireless Network Connection" mtu=1492 store=persist
The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect.

0 Likes
iroquoispower
Enthusiast - Level 2

Sorry, I posted a private conversation, here was the subtext that will help:

tried to upload a file from the computer to Google Drive using Google Chrome and we have the same problem.
tried with an incognito window and it happen the same
tried on a different computer and it happen the same
tried one of my test account on your end and we had the same problem
tried using mobile data plan using the Google Drive app and it worked.
transfer mobile data plan internet connection to your computer and we noticed that it worked fine.

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

My apologies. Please change "netsh int ip set subinterface" to "netsh int ipv4 set subinterface". So....

netsh int ipv4 set subinterface "Wireless Network Connection" mtu=1492 store=persist

0 Likes