Google Home devices may be the cause of the problems with your FIOS Quantum router's wi-fi network
cseaman1
Enthusiast - Level 2

Per this recent Gizmodo article, large packet bursts from Google Home devices (when they wake up) may be causing home wi-fi networks to crash.  I believe this was the case on my FIOS Quantum router...my primary secured network became unavailable for connection at random points in time, but the issue would always be fixed with a reboot, and the Guest network never had any problems.  To test this out, when you reboot your router next, power off any Google Home devices and see if the issue goes away.  Google is working on a fix.  Verizon Support sent me a new router before I discovered this article - they don't appear to be aware of the issue, so I thought I'd post in case you look here first.

0 Likes
Re: Google Home devices may be the cause of the problems with your FIOS Quantum router's wi-fi netwo
jonjones1
Legend

https://www.dslreports.com/forum/r31784303-Networking-G1100-5ghz-not-working

However this situation has been bantered around in the DSL Reports and others without the Google Home products are experiencing the loss of 5 Ghz 

0 Likes
Re: Google Home devices may be the cause of the problems with your FIOS Quantum router's wi-fi netwo
cseaman1
Enthusiast - Level 2

Oh, trust me, I had separate issues with the 5 GHz radio...that was the other part of my request for a new router.  Regardless of the lack of 5 GHz and with just the 2.4 GHz in use, the Google Home devices seem to take down the primary wi-fi network.

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

@cseaman wrote:

Oh, trust me, I had separate issues with the 5 GHz radio...that was the other part of my request for a new router.  Regardless of the lack of 5 GHz and with just the 2.4 GHz in use, the Google Home devices seem to take down the primary wi-fi network.

Another thread has popped up at DSL Reports

https://www.dslreports.com/forum/r31791711-Your-Chromecast-or-Google-Home-Might-Be-Screwing-Up-Your-...

0 Likes
mclemm1

I had to turn my 5 off.

0 Likes