Google Play Fails to Download Apps and Updates over FIOS WiFi
wygnarth

This one has really stumped me.  Two Android phones in the house (GS6 and Pixel 2) can't download apps through Google Play or any updates through the Download Manager.  Have tried several fixes recommended online about clearing cache data for Google Play and uninstalling updates, but they haven't fixed the problem. 

Google Play works fine when connecting the phones to cellular data, or even to another WiFI network.  Therefor, I have to believe the problem is with my FIOS router.  I've never messed with the router, but if anyone can suggest router settings that address this problem, I'd appreciate it.  

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Google Play Fails to Download Apps and Updates over FIOS WiFi
mechadriver
Enthusiast - Level 1
0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

I have had a number of Android devices and Fios routers over the years with no issues.

Can you download new apps?

If you go in to Play and select my apps, do you see which apps need updates?

What happens when you select update?

0 Likes
wygnarth

Yea, it's definitely a mystery, but it does appear to be a problem others have had. 

http://innov8tiv.com/fix-app-download-pending-google-play-store-apps-wont-download-stuck/

https://forums.androidcentral.com/samsung-galaxy-s6-edge-plus/670041-google-play-not-downloading-app...

None of those ideas did the trick however.  

When I try to download a new app from either phone connected to our FIOS network via WiFi, it just gets stuck at the "Download Pending..." part.  Play sees that many apps need updating, but it gets similarly stuck when it tries to update one.  Connect a phone to cellular data or another Wifi network, and it works fine.

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Are you using FIOS router?
Have you tried power resting it?

Do you have any other Internet issues?

I had an S6 and never had an issue (now have S8).

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Does YouTube or Google Drive work correctly?

Google likes to use the QUIC protocol (which they develop) for a lot of file transfers on supported devices. QUIC uses the UDP protocol. If the router is blocking that traffic for games/DTLS VPN/UDP identification because the firewall or Parental Controls are enabled, those transfers can fail all together. Fallback to TCP may or may not occur.

0 Likes
wygnarth

FIOS Router: Yes, FIOS 'Quantum Gateway'

Power reset the router: yes, no change.

Other Internet issues:  Not that I'm aware of.

Youtube: Works fine.

Google Drive: Works fine.

Thanks.

0 Likes
TacticalRash

I am having the exact same problem ever since I upgraded to a FIOS Quantum Gateway. Everything works except i cannot download apps or update them in google play. They sit on "downloading" for a couple minutes then timeout and give the error 495. I have looked at google support forums all day and have tried multiple things that have worked for other people:

I have tried changing my DNS,

I have tried disabling IPv6 (wasnt actually enabled anyways)

I tried clearing my cache in google play and services,

I tried removing and readding my google account in Play store,

I tried factory resetting my phone,

I tried opening the Google Play ports in my firewall (UDP and TCP 5228)

and i tried deleting a possibly corrupt file using my computer (smdl2tmp1.asec)

Verizon mobile was so stumped, they are replacing my phone because thats the last option in their tech support guides. But I honestly think its the router, because thats when it started... 

0 Likes
mechadriver
Enthusiast - Level 1

Read the process from this link submitted by menchyk and wait 5 minutes before restarting the router as noted in the next post by ndrake.  

I have had this issue since April and tried all the steps you listed.  This post fixed the problem, not only with apps, but with google play movies too!!

0 Likes
mechadriver
Enthusiast - Level 1
0 Likes
cck6
Enthusiast - Level 1

This link has the real solution. The issue seems too be that someone is blocking certain ip blocks. You need too get the router to get a be up not on the same block as the one where the issue it's occurring. By removing the power to the router you can get the effect of getting a new ip but the better way is to issue the release command through the router. Need to insure you get a new up not in the same block though.

0 Likes