Google WiFi Causing FiOS Router to Have Orange Internet Light
HalliganHook

Hello All,

I installed Google WiFi roughly two weeks ago and have been running into some connectivity issues.  I am running a Google WiFi 3-pack and I have a 25/25MBps FiOS Internet connection running off of a Actiontec MI424WR router.  I have FiOS Triple Play (TV, Internet, Telephone). 

Here is how my Google WiFi is wired:

ONT (Ethernet) > Google WiFi > Gigabit Switch > FiOS Router (WAN)

The coaxial from the ONT goes into a coaxial splitter which feeds the televisions in the house.  I also have coaxial from the splitter connected to the back of the FiOS Router.  The FiOS router has WiFi disabled.

The Problem: Every 1-2 days the Internet light on the FiOS Router turns Orange.  The only way this is corrected is by rebooting the FiOS Router.  When the Internet light on the FiOS router turns orange, the televisions stop functioning correctly (Guide and DVR), as does the Internet in general.

I have attached two photos to show my current wiring setup.  I followed the instruction in these forums for wiring the Google WiFi, but I don't know if something is wrong with the way I have the coaxial wired?  Does coax still go into the FiOS Router if Google WiFi is receiving Ethernet from the ONT? 

I have to tell you, my parents have Optimum Internet and Google WiFi was legit plug-and-play.  It works perfectly without any of these issues.  This FiOS Internet/Google WiFi is making me not want to renew my FiOS subscription now that my contract is up.  Any help is much appreciated.

imageONT (Ethernet) supplies the Google WiFi

imageGoogle WiFi supplies Gigabit switch which goes into the WAN port of the FiOS router.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Google WiFi Causing FiOS Router to Have Orange Internet Light
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Make the Actiontec primary. Go ONT>Ethernet to Actiontec WAN>Actiontec LAN to Google WAN>Google LAN to Switch. 

This way all your devices will connect to Google and the STBs will be happy and keep thr guide/on demand. 

Yes coax to Actiontec has to be connected to give IP address to STBs so guide/on demand works. 

View solution in original post

Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Make the Actiontec primary. Go ONT>Ethernet to Actiontec WAN>Actiontec LAN to Google WAN>Google LAN to Switch. 

This way all your devices will connect to Google and the STBs will be happy and keep thr guide/on demand. 

Yes coax to Actiontec has to be connected to give IP address to STBs so guide/on demand works. 

HalliganHook

Ok, I understand what you’re saying, but using the Actiontec router as the primary router goes totally against everything the instructions at the top of this forum says “Using your own router”. 

A few questions:

1) Obviously, I am going to keep wireless disabled on the Actiontec router.

2) Does the Acfiontec router get placed into bridge mode? Because Google WiFi specifically says NOT to use their mesh network as a bridge when using more than one puck. 

0 Likes
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

There isn’t really a “bridge mode” for the Actiontec. It will just be a different subnet. The IP address is 192.168.1.1 and it will give IPs to the STBs of 192.168.1.10x and they will get their update and guide data

It will also give Google Wifi an address of 192.168.1.x and your Google router after a reboot will most likey change it’s subnet to something else. Which it probably already is if things are working with you current setup. So to answer your second question no don’t place Google in bridge leave it DHCP. 

0 Likes
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

One other I forgot to mention this will be the exact same setup as your parents Optimum setup. I’m assuming they prodive a modem/router combo? Then that connects to GoogleWifi. 

There is definitely several ways people use their own router with FiOS TV. I’d try this way for a few days. Let me know how it works out. If not we can try some other ways. 

0 Likes
HalliganHook

Thank you for your input.  I'll fool around with my setup tomorrow and post my results.

0 Likes
HalliganHook

OK, I reconfigured my Internet setup as explained above and everything appears to be working for the time being.  If anything changes or I experience any issues I will post them. 

For anyone else using Google WiFi with FiOS TV I am using the following setup:

ONT (Ethernet) > Actiontec Router WAN

Actiontec LAN Port 1 (Ethernet) > Google WiFi WAN > Gigabit Switch

Google WiFi automatically uses a different IP address range than the standard 192.168.1.1, so there was no conflict with the Actiontec router's IP address range.  Subnet Mask is the same on both devices 255.255.255.0.  WiFi is disabled on the Actiontec router.

0 Likes