Google WiFi Mesh & Verizon Fios Issue
NickB2005
Enthusiast - Level 3

Let me start this off by saying that I have been using this setup for almost 2 years now without issue. I have Verizon Fios gigabit service with a Fios Quantum Gateway router. I also have the Google WiFi mesh system with 3 access points total. I have the main AP connected to the port 1 on my Fios router. I also have the ONT out of the wall going to my WAN port and then have the coax cable. 

So, again, I haven't had ANY issues for the past 2 years up until 5 days ago. Fios must've been putting out an update because my fios one box was blinking green and seemed stuck on the update. After talking with fios early that next morning it went back to white, but the other box I have is still blinking green (who knows why, but TV works, DVR works, etc). That's when all my issues started with the internet. 

After talking to Fios for 4 days them trying to do all these troubleshooting issues and saying it's fixed and then it's actually not is quite annoying. The internet issue I am facing is spotty internet where it'll be fine for hours and then drop for a minute or two and then come back, but when you work from home internet is very important. 

Yesterday, I decided after Fios says everything was good on their side to contact Google WiFi support. The guy was very helpful and said the issue from the logs he can see that I am facing is I am having a double NAT or multiple networks. Your Google Wifi signal channels and the WiFi from Verizon is interfering reason why your network is dropping. 

He asked me to contact Verizon and have them walk me through how to my Fios router in bridge mode, which they did no issue took a few minutes. I thought I was good the fios router globe was red (I assumed this was due to bridge mode) and then the wifi symbol below was lit up and white. Thought I was good because I have all my devices (10 of them currently) connected to my google WiFi setup. 

Well... it did not go well and my internet was going offline constantly over a 5 hour span once this new setup was complete. Google support had no clue what the issue was, Fios says they had no clue either so I had to reset (hit the button on the back) my router and it went back to normal, no bridge mode, etc. 

Everything is back up and running, but the internet is still spotty like my guess is there is still interference between the two which causes the WiFi to drop for a bit and come back. I don't know how to fix this or what I should do. I could completely get rid of the google system, but I have it actually so I can get wifi in places of my house where fios couldn't reach including my ring cameras outside my garage.

What's weird is I check my speeds via the google wifi system and I get 653 average download and 786 average upload, which seems awesome, right? I downloaded the speedtest app and ran it over my wifi when connected to google and then ran it over LTE today and over WiFi I got 41.8 download and 38.2 upload and then over LTE I got 108 download and 4.90 upload....I don't know why the numbers are so off or why my internet has been tanking all of a sudden after being good for 2 years. 

Anyone have any ideas, advice, I am 100% open to anything at this point. Sorry for the long post and thanks in advance! 

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Google WiFi Mesh & Verizon Fios Issue
NickB2005
Enthusiast - Level 3

Incredibly helpful! Thank you I’ll try it. 

update: day 1 of having WiFi turned off on g1100 and running it solely off my google WiFi was amazing. Really fast speeds all day, no drop offs throughout the day. Hoping this solved the issue. Not sure why Verizon or google support didn’t suggest this in the first place. 

View solution in original post

Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Did you try turning off the wifi in the G1100? If off the wifi light will also be off. 

NickB2005
Enthusiast - Level 3

I did not try that. I am back to original settings now and not in bridge mode. Honestly, I’m tempted to throw this google WiFi system in the trash for giving me all these headaches over the last 5 days. 

how would I do what you suggest and what’s the benefit of it? 

Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

You mentioned in your first post about channel interference. If Google and the Verizon router are on the same wifi channel they will interfere with each other. 
Login to the Verizon router and go to the wireless settings and disable the 2.4/5 GHz radios. Without looking I believe it’s under Basic settings. 

NickB2005
Enthusiast - Level 3

Wouldn’t this basically put it into bridge mode? That’s what I unchecked the first time and then the globe went red but the WiFi signal was still there. 

talked to fios again tonight and they suggested I buy or rent the new g3100 router and said that should fix my issues. I found one brand new on eBay for $245. They want $300 from Verizon. 

0 Likes
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

No. Turning off wifi is just disabling the radio. You should always disable the Verizon router wifi if you are using a mesh network. If both routers are using the same channel that close to each other they will be interference. 
The white wifi light should be off when it’s disabled. 
Bridge mode would be disabling the DHCP server in the Verizon router. Then changing it’s IP address from 192.168.1.1 to something in the Google’s subnet range. 
A double NAT is not an ideal situation but won’t necessarily cause your wifi to drop. When you notice your wifi drop are you able to hardwire a laptop to one of the LAN ports? This way you can tell whether your internet connection is dropping of it’s a wifi issue. 

NickB2005
Enthusiast - Level 3

I don’t have anything that I’m able to hard wire with an Ethernet port. My wife and I use MacBook pros and don’t have an adapter to run Ethernet. Everything else we have is also Apple and doesn’t have a port. I wish I did, but it’s so quick when it happens it’s only down for 1-2 minutes before popping back up, which is why I think it’s interface. 

I guess I could try disabling the WiFi on the fios side of things. I haven’t tried that yet. 

NickB2005
Enthusiast - Level 3

Disabled WiFi on the g1100 and the google WiFi seems to be running faster and better. Only thing is I realized I can’t connect WiFi to my fios one tv boxes now. Luckily 2 out of the 3 run on coax and are fine. The last one is downstairs and I barely use it so I guess not a huge issue. Let’s see how this new approach goes today. 

Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

I saw on another post that someone has a wifi box working with their own router by going into the diagnostics. 

To get in the screen turn the mini off by the button on top. As soon as you turn it off hit the OK button on the remote. It might take a few times. Once in a white screen will come up. Hit the back button and go to option 4 which is Network Configuration. In there you can supposedly manually connect it to a different wifi network. 

NickB2005
Enthusiast - Level 3

Incredibly helpful! Thank you I’ll try it. 

update: day 1 of having WiFi turned off on g1100 and running it solely off my google WiFi was amazing. Really fast speeds all day, no drop offs throughout the day. Hoping this solved the issue. Not sure why Verizon or google support didn’t suggest this in the first place.