Google WiFi used not as a router but just for WiFi access
bnsinclair
Enthusiast - Level 1

I love FiOS, but the router really can't service my entire home (including 3 teenage kids).  I currently have a Tenda mesh router system.  I turned off the wifi in the actiontec FiOS router and use the mesh hubs as my wifi.  

The new Google Wifi hubs are currently on sale so I would like to upgrade, but I have read that the Google Wifi router needs to behave like a router.  In other words, plugging it into an ethernet jack on my existing router my double NAT my system.  I don't want this to happen.

Have any of you purchased a Google Wifi system and used it the way I do?  If so, did you have any special issues that you could warn me about before hand?  Also, if Google Wifi doesn't work, do you know a mesh system that does?

0 Likes
Re: Google WiFi used not as a router but just for WiFi access
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

You heard correct. If you have more than one puck the main one has to be in router mode and not AP mode. Netgear Orbi can be setup in AP mode. Do you have FiOS TV? If not you can run ethernet from the ONT and connect directly to the Google  wifi.

bnsinclair
Enthusiast - Level 1

There are a ton of different Orbi systems and to be honest, I'm overwhelmed by the choices.  

There is the Orbi AC1200 Dual-Band Mesh Wi-Fi System which comes with 4 pucks for $229.

There is the Orbi AC3000 Tri-band Mesh system with 2 hubs.  This has the third band which does the backhaul channel.  This is $329.  

Then there is the Orbi WiFi System (RBK52W).  It has an AC3000 unit with 2 extra plugin units that apparently act as extenders.  This is only $199 right now ($100 off).  This also has the backhaul channel. 

Which one would you get? 

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

If you just want Google Wi-Fi to operate as an Access Point, use Bridge Mode: https://support.google.com/wifi/answer/6240987?hl=en

If you don't have FiOS TV, you can use Google Wi-Fi as your router. Have Verizon switch your ONT (if it isn't already) to use Ethernet, and perform a DHCP Release of your WAN IP from the FiOS router if needed. Then connect Google Wi-Fi up. Verizon won't support your Google Wi-Fi setup, so be mindful of that when you call in to report speed or service issues. You'll need connect the FiOS router to the ONT, or make a direct connection with a computer if they give you a hard time.

As full disclaimer - Higher FiOS speeds work best if all of your mesh nodes can use Wired backhaul. Wireless backhaul will cause unpredictable performance.

0 Likes