Re: Google wifi vs. Netgear Nighthawk?
jonjones1
Legend

@xxnonamexx wrote:

You have a netgear nighthawk router and an extender for outside? Shouldn't the router take care of the outside as well? I read somewhere if I get another router I would have to connect it to the verizon router to use as a bypass?

I use the extender out in my yard not especially for connectivity for my use, but my friends that come by for cook outs and cocktails etc. my Nighthawk gives me coverage next door at my neighbors home. It’s just overkill on my part.

the easiest way is to use the Verizon Quantum as the primary to receive DHCP only.

then place the Netgear into AP (access point mode) which is simple flick of a radio button in the Netgear GUI interface. Then run an ethernet to the Nighthawk from the Quantum Gateways lan port to the WAN port of the Nighthawk.

then go into the Verizon router and turn off 2.4, 5 Ghz bands of WiFi, and turn off guest WiFi. Then just use the better WiFi on the Nighthawk.

or as I said previously just get rid of the Verizon router and connect the higher end Netgear up as the sole router. Again the choice is yours.

since I am writing this over and over, this will be my final reply to this thread.

0 Likes
xxnonamexx

Sorry but this is the first time you explained it to me. Final question the nighthawk R8500 will allow me to eliminate my fios router. Reason I ask is Netgear Nighthawk website has cable modem and routers and wifi router just want to make sure I have correct one to eliminate the fios router.

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

@xxnonamexx wrote:

Sorry but this is the first time you explained it to me. Final question the nighthawk R8500 will allow me to eliminate my fios router. Reason I ask is Netgear Nighthawk website has cable modem and routers and wifi router just want to make sure I have correct one to eliminate the fios router.

The R8500 & R9000 are tri-band mino routers. With beam forming technology and fantastic range. After releasing the dhcp from your Verizon router, unplug it very quickly.

then insert the ethernet from the ont into the WAN port of your Netgear. Then wait for the lights to stabilize to full operation. Then test your internet.

if you are on and running then all is well. Remember to make sure to change the password in the Administration page for router access. But the crazy one they give you I found to be sufficient.

under WiFi 2.4 and 5 Ghz and guest change the SSID and passwords to something you can remember or use the default ones which are strong passwords.

without a Verizon router they will not give tech support from the ont into the home.

many people keep a Quantum in their home just Incase you need support. But it’s not a necessary thing to do.

Good Luck

0 Likes