Gross receipts tax surcharge
Matt210

RI gross receipts tax surcharge. Never had this on my bill before. Now I gotta pay $4.17 for it? Why?

0 Likes
Re: Gross receipts tax surcharge
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Probaly a new tax that RI has put on providers and Verizon is just passing it through.

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

@Matt2 wrote:

RI gross receipts tax surcharge. Never had this on my bill before. Now I gotta pay $4.17 for it? Why?

As the other poster stated it may be a legitimate tax(surcharge) read the explination on your invoice. See if it is a state charged tax or one of the Verizon gotcha taxes which are not taxes. It will say on your invoice.

Good Luck

0 Likes
EFFeX
Enthusiast - Level 3

Yeah, they hit me with this charge too. Pretty mad about it. The explanation on the bill is: 

• Verizon collects this surcharge to recover the taxes it pays to the state on its revenues.

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

@EFFeX wrote:

Yeah, they hit me with this charge too. Pretty mad about it. The explanation on the bill is: 

• Verizon collects this surcharge to recover the taxes it pays to the state on its revenues.

Yep it is a gotcha tax. The good news is if you wanted to cancel service you can do so since it is a material change to your terms and conditions of service. It's a loop hole.

i hate those below the line fees.

Good Luck

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Probably not a reason to cancel contract.

Covers set fees for content.
Equipment charges, taxes and fees are not covered.

May not be fair, but its the way it is.

And from what I understand, pretty common among cable providers.

0 Likes
speedtalka

So...Verizon makes a ton more money and we pay the tax for them.  This is just unfair!!!

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

@speedtalka wrote:

So...Verizon makes a ton more money and we pay the tax for them.  This is just unfair!!!

Ha ha you must realize that other companies do this as well.

i put in a case with my states Public Service Commission (Finacial Services) who regulate cable, tv, and phone, gas & electric and they looked into the NYS laws they have and in my case Verizon was denied the Municipal Construction Surcharge when they asked for it. The PSC stated it was a cost already included in the customer invoices. However Verizon went to fiber optics for Phone, Internet and TV and the states rules and regulations does not cover it. Just copper so when alerted by me and thousands of others Verizon responded it was within their rights to charge the new surcharges. But the PSC said it will eventually incorporate the fiber and the charge will end. 

The problem here is other companies do it. Cable comes to mind. They are below the line fees. The only recourse customers have is to drop the service. Society today has become greedy and it will continue to be this way until people stop the services and say enough. But I may not see that in my lifetime. 🤔

0 Likes
TAXES & FEES
tiger0018

My bill just went up again. Verizon seems to think that their customers are responsible for paying taxes that Verizon owes RI. and what in hell is this Gross Receipts Tax surcharge? I AM SICK TO DEATH OF PAYING STUPID AMOUNTS OF MONEY FOR REALLY POOR SERVICE. When my contract is up in August, I'M OUTTA HERE

0 Likes
Re: TAXES & FEES
jonjones1
Legend

@tiger0018 wrote:

My bill just went up again. Verizon seems to think that their customers are responsible for paying taxes that Verizon owes RI. and what in hell is this Gross Receipts Tax surcharge? I AM SICK TO DEATH OF PAYING STUPID AMOUNTS OF MONEY FOR REALLY POOR SERVICE. When my contract is up in August, I'M OUTTA HERE

Unfortunately cable internet, tv & phone is worse. In all the years my wife and I had Time Warner now Spectrum it kept going up every 6 months and sometimes more often. Where we reside there are no taxes or surcharges on broadband. But if you get tv or phone then you are taxed and surcharged to death.

i would say I wish you the best of luck, but you may be jumping out of the fry pan and into the fire. If you just take Fios internet and not tv & phone (which you may or may not have now) there are considerable tax and surcharge savings by having internet only.

with Fios broadband you can buy a magic jack for phone calling to and from anywhere or use VOIPO http://www.voipo.com which I use and is fantastic. Do not get NetTalk under any circumstances they are terrible.

you can get DirectTVNOW for around $35 a month no surcharge or taxes, plus you get. Free HBO for a year included. Huge savings if you look around.

we dumped cable for Fios broadband and it's been great.

0 Likes