Ground Hog Day redux with recurrent overly aggressive spam filter on Verizon outbound email
billg

Each day I send out two emails.  Each is to one addressee.  Each contains as an attachment a jobs newsletter my two friends have asked me to forward.  About every two weeks since this summer the Verizon spam filter identifies my emails as "spam."  This then requires contacting the Verizon spam site and within a day or so I can send my two daily emails until the spam filter blocks them again.

Has anyone had any success with a more permanent fix?  Is there anyone at Verizon who cares that their customers are  being inconvenienced by their war against spam?  I don't like being collateral damage in that war.

Thanks,

Bill

0 Likes
Re: Ground Hog Day redux with recurrent overly aggressive spam filter on Verizon outbound email
somegirl
Champion - Level 3

Verizon does care that legitimate emails are being blocked. That is why they have the spamdetector.update@verizon.net address available in the first place. It actually causes fewer problems than allowing spam to continue unabated, which leads to situations where entire DOMAINS block ALL Verizon mail for days, even weeks at a time. The outbound spam filter isn't perfect, but it IS a step forward.

Sending false positives to the spamdetector.update@verizon.net  EVERY time is the best way to help the filter improve.

Some other troubleshooting steps you can try:
If you have a signature, try removing one line at a time from it and attempting to send the message again. Some signatures look like "ads" to the filters, apparently.

If you are using a pop3 client (Outlook, Outlook Express, etc.) try sending your message from the verizon.net website. If this resolves the issue, then it is something that your client is adding to the message that is causing it to be blocked.

If the Subject line of your message has a whole bunch of "Fwd: Fwd: Re: Fwd:" try removing some of them.

Re: Ground Hog Day redux with recurrent overly aggressive spam filter on Verizon outbound email
TallGuy2

My experience with Verizon's spam filters is that they will block a message if it contains a URL that their secret filters have decided constitutes spam.  Try sending a message to yourself with no content except a URL from the blocked message to see if that triggers it.

Some examples of URLs that were blocked:

www.pegmedia.org

www.NationalEvacuationConference.org

http://baby-abroad.blogspot.com/

http://www.highspeedrail2009.com/ 

I did not perceive any reason why any of these should be blocked.  I am still trying to get the last one freed up.

If they block outgoing messages with a banned URL, I will learn about it right away when the message is bounced right back.  The big problem is with incoming messages, because I have no way of knowing what is not making it through.

0 Likes
somegirl
Champion - Level 3

@TallGuy2 wrote:
If they block outgoing messages with a banned URL, I will learn about it right away when the message is bounced right back.  The big problem is with incoming messages, because I have no way of knowing what is not making it through.

Set your Spam Detector to save spam to your spam detector folder. Then you can check for any legit messages and mark them as "not spam."

0 Likes
coopege3

I too am fed up with this.  I have a business to run and our emails are not being sent out.  I get no response from the spam people and the tech people say they can't help with the spam issue.  If it was an occaional message we could deal with it, but as it is I would have to sit here all day forwarding emails to the spam people.  Verizon blames it on outlook and everything else, but we need real help with this.  I have found that Verizon assigns my router IPs that are on the blacklist - every single time. 

0 Likes
somegirl
Champion - Level 3

@coopege3 wrote:

I too am fed up with this.  I have a business to run and our emails are not being sent out.  I get no response from the spam people and the tech people say they can't help with the spam issue.  If it was an occaional message we could deal with it, but as it is I would have to sit here all day forwarding emails to the spam people.  Verizon blames it on outlook and everything else, but we need real help with this.  I have found that Verizon assigns my router IPs that are on the blacklist - every single time. 

The rejection you get for a blacklisted IP will be from the 3rd party, not Verizon. What error message are you getting?

0 Likes